Solve the quadratic equation by completing the square

chijioke

Solve the quadratic equation by completing.
[math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y + 9 = 0[/math]
Solution
[math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y = -9[/math][math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y +\left(\frac{1}{2}×(-6)\right) ^2= -9+\left(\frac{1}{2}×(-6)\right) ^2[/math][math]y ^ { 2 } - 6+9 y = -9+9[/math][math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y +9 = 0[/math][math]\left(y-3\right)^2=0[/math][math]y-3 = \pm\sqrt{0}[/math][math]y-3=0[/math][math]\therefore ~ y=3[/math]Is y really 3?
I am asking this question because if you solve this problem by factorization method, you get y = 3 twice.
My concern here is why am I getting y = 3 only once instead of twice.

Last edited:
I am asking this question because if you solve this problem by factorization method, you get y = 3 twice.
You did in fact get y = 3 twice this way: y = 3 + 0 and y = 3 - 0. If the discriminant were not 0, these would have been two different roots; here, they are equal.

Completing the square doesn't reveal the double (multiplicity 2) nature of the root in the same way as factoring, but it is there.

Good question.

Please consider the following

[math]a^2 = b \iff a * a = b.[/math]
That is a definition.

[math]+ 0 \equiv 0 \equiv - 0 \implies \pm 0 = 0.[/math]
That proposition is true for no real number other than zero.

Put those two important trivialities together with your [imath](y - 3)^2 = \pm 0[/imath] to get

[math] (y - 3)^2 = \pm 0 \implies \\ (y - 3)^2 = 0 \implies \\ (y - 3)(y - 3) = 0. [/math]
Exactly the same conclusion derived from factoring.

There is something called the fundamental theorem of algebra, which says

[math] ax^2 + bx + c = 0 \text { and } a, \ b, \ c \text { are all real numbers} \implies \\ \exists \text { numbers } p \text { and } q \text { such that }\\ a(x - p)(x - q) = 0 \implies x = p \text { or } x = q. [/math]
Notice what the theorem does NOT say. It does not say that p and q are real numbers; they may be complex, conjugate numbers. Nor does it say that p and q are different numbers; they may be the same number. If

[math]p = q \implies a(x - p)(x - q) = 0 \implies a(x - p)^2 = 0 \implies x =p.[/math]
Putting that theorem into English gives this:

A quadratic in x with real coefficients can always be factored into two linear factors in x, but those two factors may be duplicates.

(y-3)^2 = (y-3)(y-3)=0. So yes, you are getting y= 3 twice.
The 6th line from the bottom is wrong.
You said the sixth line from the bottom is wrong. How is it wrong? This is the sixth line from the bottom: [math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y +\left(\frac{1}{2}×(-6)\right) ^2= -9+\left(\frac{1}{2}×(-6)\right) ^2[/math] . How is it wrong?
Maybe I can explain. The first line which happens to be the fifth line from the bottom gave rise to the sixth line.
The original equation is
[math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y + 9 = 0[/math]To get the fifth line, I subtracted 9 from both sides of the equations and here comes the fifth line which is
[math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y = -9[/math]To get the sixth line, I added the square of of half of the coefficient of y. The coefficient of y is -6. Half of it is [math]\frac{1}{2}×(-6)=-3[/math] Square of -3 is [math](-3)^2=9[/math]Here comes the sixt line
[math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y +\left(\frac{1}{2}×(-6)\right) ^2= -9+\left(\frac{1}{2}×(-6)\right) ^2[/math]I think what is wrong is the seventh line which is supposed to be [math]y ^ { 2 } - 6y+9 = -9+9[/math]which I mistakenly wrote as
[math]y ^ { 2 } - 6+9 y = -9+9[/math]

You said the sixth line from the bottom is wrong. How is it wrong? This is the sixth line from the bottom: [math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y +\left(\frac{1}{2}×(-6)\right) ^2= -9+\left(\frac{1}{2}×(-6)\right) ^2[/math] . How is it wrong?
Maybe I can explain. The first line which happens to be the fifth line from the bottom gave rise to the sixth line.
The original equation is
[math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y + 9 = 0[/math]To get the fifth line, I subtracted 9 from both sides of the equations and here comes the fifth line which is
[math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y = -9[/math]To get the sixth line, I added the square of of half of the coefficient of y. The coefficient of y is -6. Half of it is [math]\frac{1}{2}×(-6)=-3[/math] Square of -3 is [math](-3)^2=9[/math]Here comes the sixt line
[math]y ^ { 2 } - 6 y +\left(\frac{1}{2}×(-6)\right) ^2= -9+\left(\frac{1}{2}×(-6)\right) ^2[/math]I think what is wrong is the seventh line which is supposed to be [math]y ^ { 2 } - 6y+9 = -9+9[/math]which I mistakenly wrote as
[math]y ^ { 2 } - 6+9 y = -9+9[/math]
What you are stating is not the line I am referring to. It is the line above the one you referred to.

What you are stating is not the line I am referring to. It is the line above the one you referred to.
I myself don't even know the line you are talking about. I think it would be helpful if you show the line.