Solving Equations (Linear)

Probability

I am trying to learn how to solve linear equations and simplify, where in this example 3a is not equal to -2b.

This is what I have done so far, I am also to understand that where terms are not the same then they cannot be simplified.

3a(3a – x) = 2b(x + 2b)
Solution

Multiply out the brackets;

9a2 – 3ax = 2bx + 4b2
9a2 – 4b2 = 3ax – 2bx
9a2 – 4b2 = (3a – 2b)x

Have I got this right or am I missing something?

Thanks

Probability:confused:

I am trying to learn how to solve linear equations and simplify, where in this example 3a is not equal to -2b.

This is what I have done so far, I am also to understand that where terms are not the same then they cannot be simplified.

3a(3a – x) = 2b(x + 2b)
Solution

Multiply out the brackets;

9a2 – 3ax = 2bx + 4b2
9a2 – 4b2 = 3ax – 2bx
9a2 – 4b2 = (3a – 2b)x

Have I got this right or am I missing something?

Thanks

Probability:confused:

I suspect you have not stated your problem fully. Are you supposed to solve for x? If so, that means you must get x on one side by itself and simplify the other side as much as possible.
You are off to a good start, but you have a few more steps to complete. Factor the left hand side (hint: difference of two squares), then divide both sides by (3a - 2b). Finally, cancel if possible.

I suspect you have not stated your problem fully. Are you supposed to solve for x? If so, that means you must get x on one side by itself and simplify the other side as much as possible.
You are off to a good start, but you have a few more steps to complete. Factor the left hand side (hint: difference of two squares), then divide both sides by (3a - 2b). Finally, cancel if possible.

Thanks, this is what I have done since posting originally.

x = 9a2 - 4b2
3a - 2b

x = (3a - 2b)(3a + 2b)
3a - 2b

x = 3a + 2b

I am not sure?

x = (3a - 2b)(3a + 2b)
3a - 2b

Instead of trying to draw factions when typing math, use the forward slash / to show division:

x = (3a - 2b)(3a + 2b)/(3a - 2b)

I am not sure [if my answer is correct]

You may check your answer by substituting your result for x into the original equation and simplifying. If you end up with a true statement, that confirms your answer. :cool:

Thanks, this is what I have done since posting originally.

x = 9a2 - 4b2
3a - 2b

x = (3a - 2b)(3a + 2b)
3a - 2b

x = 3a + 2b

I am not sure?
Show exponentiation as a^2. Show division by (9a^2 - 4b^2) / (3a - 2b).

The way to be sure is to put your solution back into the original equation to see if it results in a correct equation.

\(\displaystyle 3a(3a - x) = 3a\{3a - (3a + 2b)\} = 3a(3a - 3a - 2b) = 3a * (- 2b) = - 6ab.\)

\(\displaystyle 2b(x + 2b) = 2b\{(3a + 2b) + 2b\} = 2b(3a + 2b + 2b) = 2b(3a + 4b) = 6ab + 8b^2 \ne - 6ab.\)

Your answer is wrong. Let's figure out why.

\(\displaystyle 3a(3a - x) = 2b(x + 2b) \implies 9a^2 - 3ax = 2bx + 4b^2 \implies 9a^2 - 4b^2 = 3ax + 2bx = x(3a + 2b) \implies\)

\(\displaystyle x = \dfrac{9a^2 - 4b^2}{3a + 2b} = \dfrac{(3a + 2b)(3a - 2b)}{3a + 2b} = 3a - 2b.\)

Let's check.

\(\displaystyle 3a(3a - x) = 3a\{3a - (3a - 2b)\} = 3a(3a - 3a + 2b) = 3a * 2b = 6ab.\)

\(\displaystyle 2b(x + 2b) = 2b\{(3a - 2b) + 2b\} = 2b(3a - 2b + 2b) = 2b *3a = 6ab.\)

This answer is correct. It is important to check your work. You will make fewer mistakes that way. (Sadly, we all make mistakes.)

Instead of trying to draw factions when typing math, use the forward slash / to show division:

x = (3a - 2b)(3a + 2b)/(3a - 2b)

You may check your answer by substituting your result for x into the original equation and simplifying. If you end up with a true statement, that confirms your answer. :cool:

Thanks for your replies, yes I will use the forward slash for division and yes I will check the answer by substitution.

Regards

Probability:D