Solving inequalities

rachelmaddie

Can someone please check my work for me? And also tell me if this graph shown in the picture is correct?
A301A623-0F69-41FF-BFC4-53EE4D45CF29.pngC7B6B843-D740-41FC-A61A-2548DF1FE798.jpegTo solve the inequality -3(5y - 4) >_ 17

Divide both sides with -3:
5y - 4 _< -17/3 (the sign of the inequality becomes opposite whenever a negative number is either divided or multiplied on both sides)

Add 4 on both sides:
5y _< -5/3

Divide 5 on both sides:
y _< -⅓

This shows all the values of y less than and equal to -1/3 satisfy the inequality

Can someone please check my work for me? And also tell me if this graph shown in the picture is correct?
View attachment 20299View attachment 20300To solve the inequality -3(5y - 4) >_ 17

Divide both sides with -3:
5y - 4 _< -17/3 (the sign of the inequality becomes opposite whenever a negative number is either divided or multiplied on both sides)

Add 4 on both sides:
5y _< -5/3

Divide 5 on both sides:
y _< -⅓

This shows all the values of y less than and equal to -1/3 satisfy the inequality
Correct

What you showed originally was better. Here, everything but the interval from -1 to 0 is evenly spaced, but that interval is twice as long as it should be. This doesn't affect the correctness of the graph, but it makes it look as if you don't fully understand number lines!

Is there a reason you changed it?

Yes, it should be or not and.
I chose not to point this out to the OP ... well for obvious reasons.

Yes, it should be or not and.I chose not to point this out to the OP ... well for obvious reasons.
Going back to the original complain by you (response #5) - why do doubt my response (response #2)?

The answer should not have and but rather or
Her mathematical response:

y ≤ -⅓

is correct. Her graphical response was correct

She was not required to answer the question "in words". So I did not comment about that.

Her mathematical response:

y ≤ -⅓

is correct.

She was not required to answer the question "in words". So I did not comment about that.
What you showed originally was better. Here, everything but the interval from -1 to 0 is evenly spaced, but that interval is twice as long as it should be. This doesn't affect the correctness of the graph, but it makes it look as if you don't fully understand number lines!

Is there a reason you changed it?

Yes, but I must show my work and give an explanation if needed.