Solving V

Nothing is absolute

Hello,

this is my first post and I feel a little rude for just delving straight into I need help but... I need help!

I have an equation for working out vehicle stopping sight distance. I want to re arrange the equation to make V the subject. I've tried and failed, unfortunately.

Is it a quadratic? not that that helps me! It's just been so long since I attempted any algebra.

Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• Rearranged SISD.JPG
    Rearranged SISD.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 12
  • SISD.JPG
    SISD.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 11
I have an equation for working out vehicle stopping sight distance.
The equation in the attachment is:

[imath]\qquad SISD = \dfrac{D_T \times V}{3.6} + \dfrac{V^2}{254 \times (d + 0.01 \times a)}[/imath]
Is it a quadratic?
Yes, this is a quadratic in [imath]V[/imath].

I want to re arrange the equation to make V the subject. I've tried and failed, unfortunately.
To solve for [imath]V[/imath], move [imath]SISD[/imath] over to the right-hand side of the equation, and then apply the Quadratic Formula (link to lessons).

If you get stuck, please reply with a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far. Thank you!

Eliz.

Thanks Eliz.

I've moved SISD to the other side and expanded the equation. However, I have too many forms to apply the quadratic, so obviously I'm still doing something wrong.

Can I simplify it or am I completely on the wrong track?!

20230526 SISD.JPG

I've moved SISD to the other side and expanded the equation. However, I have too many forms to apply the quadratic, so obviously I'm still doing something wrong.
I'm sorry, but what do you mean by having "too many forms to apply the quadratic"?