Some help w/ Algebra please: solns to inequalities, eqns

peanut1005

1. How do you know if a value is a solution for an inequality? 2. How is this different from determining if a value is a solution to an equation? 3. If you replace the equal sign of an equation with an inequality sign, is there ever a time when the same value will be a solution to both the equation and the inequality?

1. I understand that if you substitute the value for the variable and then solve to see if the statement is true or false; if the statement is true then the value is a solution for an equality, does this sound right?

2. I do not believe that this is different from determining if a value is a solution to an equation.

3. I am saying yes; but only if the inequality sign is greater than/equal to or less than/equal to, not < or >. Is this correct?

4. Can you assist me in writing an inequality and provide a value that may or may not be a solution to the inequality? If not I understand, I am trying really hard to understand all of this on my own and it is not easy, but I am doing it day by day. Thanks for any assistance!

Re: Some help with Algebra please..

peanut1005 said:
1. How do you know if a value is a solution for an inequality? 2. How is this different from determining if a value is a solution to an equation? 3. If you replace the equal sign of an equation with an inequality sign, is there ever a time when the same value will be a solution to both the equation and the inequality?

1. I understand that if you substitute the value for the variable and then solve to see if the statement is true or false; if the statement is true then the value is a solution for an equality, does this sound right?

2. I do not believe that this is different from determining if a value is a solution to an equation.

3. I am saying yes; but only if the inequality sign is greater than/equal to or less than/equal to, not < or >. Is this correct?

4. Can you assist me in writing an inequality and provide a value that may or may not be a solution to the inequality? If not I understand, I am trying really hard to understand all of this on my own and it is not easy, but I am doing it day by day. Thanks for any assistance!

Generally, equality sign refers to a point on the number line (or space) and inequality sign refers to a "range".

so a statement

2 ? x ? 1

means the solution is x = 2 and x= 1 and any value in between (like x = 1.257).