Spoon-feeding

ausmathgenius420

The shorter candles' length is given by the equation:
[math]L=\frac{-10}{8}t+10[/math]The longer candles' length can be expressed as:
[math]L=\frac{-c}{5}t+c[/math]
From the question, both lengths are equal at t=3 therefore:
[math]\frac{-10}{8}(3)+10=\frac{-c}{5}(3)+c[/math]Hence: [imath]c=15.625cm[/imath]

The shorter candles' initial length is 15.625cm

Last edited by a moderator:
[math]\frac{-10}{8}(3)+10=\frac{-c}{5}(3)+c[/math]Hence: [imath]c=15.625cm[/imath]

This solution is logical, but I do not like it pedagogically because it uses one symbol, L, to represent two different variables. I’d be happier with L and S for the lengths of the long and short candles respectively or subscripted Ls.

This solution is logical, but I do not like it pedagogically because it uses one symbol, L, to represent two different variables. I’d be happier with L and S for the lengths of the long and short candles respectively or subscripted Ls.
Perhaps... Respectfully though, I think when the solution includes worded explanations, it becomes easier to follow along when variables are kept the same.

Regardless, I'm sure OP is aware that the letters themselves are rather trivial, hence why I replaced his x's and y's with t's and L's.

Perhaps... Respectfully though, I think when the solution includes worded explanations, it becomes easier to follow along when variables are kept the same.

Regardless, I'm sure OP is aware that the letters themselves are rather trivial, hence why I replaced his x's and y's with t's and L's.
I do not care at all what letters are used. What I am objecting to is using the same letter to refer to two different quantities. A student who is having difficulty with linear equations is almost undoubtedly still not fully comfortable with using letters to represent quantities. We should be as clear as possible for such students. Your explanation would be fine for a calculus student. But we should temper the wind for the shorn lamb. The minds of most beginning algebra students inhabit a very dark room.

Please let the student discover the solution, from helpful-hints provided by the tutor. In general, we wait for one week prior to "solving" the problem.

Is there a reason that you are showing solutions on a math help forum?

Maybe think about that question for a little longer…
What question is that? If you mean Is there a reason that you are showing solutions on a math help forum? you clearly do not know what help is. Do you really think that giving a solution to a student is helpful?

The bottom line is that giving solution, whether good or bad, is against the forum's posting guidelines. You already have two strikes against you. After three strikes you get suspended from the forum.
Personally I'd rather that you follow the rules and stick around.

What question is that? If you mean Is there a reason that you are showing solutions on a math help forum? you clearly do not know what help is. Do you really think that giving a solution to a student is helpful?

The bottom line is that giving solution, whether good or bad, is against the forum's posting guidelines. You already have two strikes against you. After three strikes you get suspended from the forum.
Personally I'd rather that you follow the rules and stick around.
As a student myself yes, yes I do. I provided two lines of new working, one of which was the part the OP was stuck on, and the other was showing how to find the solution - which is what they asked.

I don’t need to string OP along every step of the way for my own ego. His question was how to find the longer candles length, and I answered.

Does OP who asked for the solution also get a strike? I logged in yesterday as a frequent question asker, hoping to help some others out. It’s beyond me the hostility I’ve received for answering two questions.

Anyway, have a good day:)

I don’t need to string OP along every step of the way for my own ego.
No - we don't string OP along - we try to get a response from the OP - so that we know where does s/he stand - what doubt do we really need to clear up.

As far as "ego" is considered, spouting out complete solution without any response from OP is the display of the peacock - ........

No - we don't string OP along - we try to get a response from the OP - so that we know where does s/he stand - what doubt do we really need to clear up.

As far as "ego" is considered, spouting out complete solution without any response from OP is the display of the peacock - ........
“stringing along” and “trying to get a response” sound awfully similar to me.

Why not clear all doubt by mentioning the solution following my explanation…

Giving OP what they wanted is not egotistical - OP would expect that the people he/she is posing the question to know how to answer it.

“stringing along” and “trying to get a response” sound awfully similar to me.
May be to you - not to me.

Lot of OP are trying to find a quick way to get "good grade" in their homework. If you are given a homework - you should be able to analyze it and start it, and may be even start to write the equations to solve. Generally, there are multiple ways to solve a problem, and we want to know which way is comfortable for/with the OP.

By the way, referring to ego - what does your choice of user-name and avatar signify?

As I said, there is no negotiation here as the forum's policy does not allow a poster to provide full solutions. You can not like that policy, which is fine by me, but you need to follow it.

I interpret "without return" as "without replacement", either mistranslated or just a little oddly stated, and misplaced (as one using a second language might). Balls drawn are not returned to the bag. That makes the question sensible:

From a bag containing 20 balls numbered from 1 to 20, 10 balls will be drawn, without replacement. For example, on the second draw, there are 19 balls in the bag.​
What is the probability that the ball with number 11 will be among the 10 balls drawn?​
Yes I agree & that is what I answered. There [imath]184,756[/imath] ways to draw ten balls from twenty of those there are [imath]92,378[/imath] or half of which contain the eleven ball.

[imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath]

Yes I agree & that is what I answered. There [imath]184,756[/imath] ways to draw ten balls from twenty of those there are [imath]92,378[/imath] or half of which contain the eleven ball.

[imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath]
So why again are we just giving out answers?