system of equations signs

luisfe

Hi,

i have a system of equations (just an example here).
So i want to solve it with the gaussian elimination, but i have no clue whats the meaning of δ and γ.

Always did it without these signs ..

δx₁ + 2x₂ - 4x₃ = 0
γx₁ + 2x₂ − 11x₃ = 8
3x₁ + 2x₂ − 2x₃ = 4

Can anyone give me a hint?

Please show us the entire problem you were given. That will tell you the significance of those symbols, which are the Greek letters delta and gamma. They are just variables (specifically, parameters), and if you are told nothing more about them, then your solution of the system will be expressed in terms of those parameters, rather than actual numbers.

Please show us the entire problem you were given. That will tell you the significance of those symbols, which are the Greek letters delta and gamma. They are just variables (specifically, parameters), and if you are told nothing more about them, then your solution of the system will be expressed in terms of those parameters, rather than actual numbers.
Hi,

the question is:
"Use all of the methods known from the lecture to determine for which γ, δ there is exactly one solution to the system of linear equations."

the question is:
"Use all of the methods known from the lecture to determine for which γ, δ there is exactly one solution to the system of linear equations."

Well, that still assumes we know what the lecture was about! Was it about determinants, or row reduction, or elimination, or what?

Tell us what you learned about conditions under which a system of linear equations has exactly one solution, and then we can help you apply that method.

Do you see yet why we ask you to follow these guidelines?