System of Linear Equations (Solve Using Matrices)

TheWrathOfMath

Please see attached file which includes a set of linear equations.

1. For what values of alpha and beta the system has one solution?
2. For what values of alpha and beta the system has no solutions?
3. For what values of alpha and beta the system has infinitely many solutions?
4. For every case in which the system has infinitely many solutions, find the general solution of the system.

Attachments

• mml.png
    mml.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 10

What have you been able to do with this?

-Dan
I probably first need to write the equations in the form of a matrix and change it into the reduced row echelon form, right?

And then I will need to compute the rank of the matrix by setting the leading entry in every row equal to zero?

And then use it to figure out how many solutions the non-homogenous system of linear equations has?

Do I need to change the matrix so that it is in the row echelon form or the reduced row echelon form?

Do what you suggested and see if it works! (It probably will, if you carry it out appropriately.) I think that's what everyone is waiting to see.
Whatever works :)

-Dan
Does this look okay so far?
I changed the matrix into row echelon form.

If this is correct, do I now need to compute the rank of the matrix A and the augmented matrix (A|b) by setting the leading entry -alpha-beta equal to zero?

Attachments

• MATH2.jpg
    MATH2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 4

-Dan

this look okay so far?

If this is correct, do I now need to compute the rank of the matrix A and the augmented matrix (A|b) by setting the leading entry -alpha-beta equal to zero?
Do what you suggested and see if it works! (It probably will, if you carry it out appropriately.) I think that's what everyone is waiting to see.
Whatever works :)
For instance, for "no solution" I will probably need to set -alpha-beta=0 and -alpha(3+beta)=/=0 so that r(A|b)>r(A), right?

For instance, for "no solution" I will probably need to set -alpha-beta=0 and -alpha(3+beta)=/=0 so that r(A|b)>r(A), right?

I agree. BTW, what happens when [imath]\alpha+\beta = 0[/imath] and [imath]\alpha(3+\beta) = 0[/imath] ?

I agree. BTW, what happens when [imath]\alpha+\beta = 0[/imath] and [imath]\alpha(3+\beta) = 0[/imath] ?
I do not know if I did this correctly, since I am not supposed to receive a value of alpha in terms of beta.
I think I need to find numerical values for alpha and beta.
Perhaps I should have computed the row echelon form differently?

Does this look okay so far?

You echelon form looks correct, but more complex than necessary. Why did you need to apply [imath]R_1 \longrightarrow R_1 - \alpha R_2[/imath] ?

I do not know if I did this correctly, since I am not supposed to receive a value of alpha in terms of beta.
I think I need to find numerical values for alpha and beta.
Perhaps I should have computed the row echelon form differently?
After the reduction you have [imath](\alpha+\beta) w = \alpha\beta + 3\alpha[/imath]. What do you think about this equation : [imath]0\cdot w = 0[/imath] ?

What can you say about the solutions when [imath]\alpha+\beta = 0[/imath] and [imath]\alpha\beta+3\alpha=0[/imath] ?
I don't know anymore.
The more I try to understand it, the more confused I get.
Never mind.
Thank you for trying to help.

+
I don't know anymore.
The more I try to understand it, the more confused I get.
Never mind.
Thank you for trying to help.
If both parts are zero then you get [imath]0\cdot w = 0[/imath]. Which values of [imath]w[/imath] would fit this equation?