system of linear equations

travelmail26

I'd like some help solving a simple system of linear equations. Here is an example:

- solve, a + b + c + d = 100
- a > (b + c)
- b = c
- c > d

In this case, I want to find values for a, b, c and d. "a" is the highest rank, b and c are rank 2 and d is rank 3. All of the variables added together should equal 100. all variables are positive real numbers.

How do I solve this system of linear equations and find a fixed value for each variable?

Thank you and please let me know if I can make this question more clear. It's been a while since I've done linear algebra and any help solving (and showing how to get the answer) is very helpful.

I'd like some help solving a simple system of linear equations. Here is an example:

- a > (b + c)
- b = c
- c > d

In this case, I want to find values for a, b, c and d. "a" is the highest rank, b and c are rank 2 and d is rank 3. All of the variables added together should equal 100. all variables are positive real numbers.

How do I solve this system of linear equations and find a fixed value for each variable?

Thank you and please let me know if I can make this question more clear. It's been a while since I've done linear algebra and any help solving (and showing how to get the answer) is very helpful.
Let's get rid of a variable and just set c = b. Then we have a + 2b + d = 100 and a > 2b and b > d.

d = 100 - a - 2b. So a > d means that a > 100 - a - 2b. Then we have a > 50 - b.

So d = 100 - a - 2b and a > 50 - b and a > 2b and b > d.

That's the best I can do to whittle it down. There is more than one possible solution. Play with it a bit. For example I get (a, b, d) = (45, 20, 15) and (a, b, d) = (48, 21, 10) as solutions.

-Dan

- a > (b + c)
- b = c
- c > d

You cannot calculate a unique set of values assigned to a, b, c and d - from given set of equations.

For example: {a, b, c, d) could be (95, 2, 2, 1) ......or.... (92, 3, 3, 2) and many more (assuming a, b, c & d

Please post the exact problem you want solve

Please do not put a '-' at the start of each line. You do know that it looks a bit like a negative sign.
In fact, if the 1st line, which was a sentence, did not have a - sign at the beginning me and everyone else would have misread the last three lines of you post.

An equation has an equal sign. Since some of your statements have > signs they are called inequalities.

I hesitate to disagree with other helpers, who frequently know much more than I do.

If we are talking about real solutions, we need at least n independent and consistent equations to solve for n unknowns.

But you did not give us n equations.

If, on the other hand, we are talking about integer solutions, we may be able to solve for n unknowns with fewer than n equations because we have extra information. Unfortunately, this branch of mathematics is not fully explored. You need to provide every scrap of relevant information.