The 1% Club

The Highlander

A new UK TV show where 100 contestants are whittled down to a final few by being given 30 seconds to answer each of a series of "logic/common sense" type questions that a decreasing percentage of people are likely to be able to answer correctly, for example:-

How many pets does Stella have in total if all except two are
dogs, all except two are cats and all except two are rabbits?

Give yourself up to 30s to see if you can answer before pressing the Spoiler(s).
Stella has 3 pets in total (1 of each).

That was the 10% question (ie: only 10% of a representative sample of a cross-section of the UK population were able to answer it correctly within the 30s time limit.)

The 5% question was (answer in ≤ 30s):-

                Fill in the blank...

Jessica is Mandy's only sister.
Mandy is the _____ of Jessica's sister.

Jessica is Mandy's only sister.
Mandy is the name of Jessica's sister.

The final (£96,000) prize was won by a young woman who did impressively well throughout the program and was the only one of the final three (who made it through to attempt the 1% question) that answered it correctly!
(Otherwise the £96k would have been shared.)

I didn't manage to answer it in the allotted time...    
Can you?

Contestants are only allowed 30 seconds to come up with their answers and are knocked out if they fail to answer or get it wrong in that time, so time yourself (and there's no submitting a "Solution" if you don't get it within the time limit! lol)

If you do post an answer, please just post the two letters without any explanation. (If you try but fail to get it in the 30s then please post that; there's no shame in not getting it, I'm quite happy to admit I didn't)
I will post the answer tomorrow (Monday) if no one gets it or confirm the correct answer (with the explanation) if someone has posted it.

(Remember: Don't cheat on the time limit! ?)

The 1% question was:-
What are the next 2 letters in this sequence?
(Press the Spoiler button only when you are ready to start timing yourself.)

T N E C R E P E _ _

Last edited:
Thank you for saying so. (At least one honest contributor among us, eh? ??)

Even after seeing the answers above, I still didn't get it. I might watch the show next week (I'm in the UK).
Failing is the best way to learn!

Read it backwards :)

Brilliant.

I have to be honest, I didn't get the first two questions in the time limit either :oops: On the 1% question, I couldn't get this out of my head...
T N E C R E P E _ _

T
en Nine Eight... erm... erm... CR*P :ROFLMAO:

Apologies for the delay in posting the answers (I got caught up in something else yesterday) but I'm sure everyone has already seen the correct answers as submitted by Harry & Dr.P.; Well Done! ?   (I know it says "Hugging Face" but I think it looks more like "Applause" ?)

Of course, the correct answers were:
N O.

It was comforting to see that the majority were as confounded as I was in getting it within the 30 seconds. We trust that those who did were as honest as others (or didn't see the show if UK based, lol) but that's no great stretch of credulity since all that was required was to have the presence of mind to look at thing backwards as an early option. (Instead of frittering away the time trying to come up with acrostic correlations reading forwards, eg: Days of the Week; No! → Months of the Year; Nope! → Number Sequences; Nope! → Arrrrggh! ?)

The 1% question was:-

What are the next 2 letters in this sequence?

T N E C R E P E _ _

and if you reverse this (with the answers in) you get:-

T N E C R E P E N OO N E P E R C E N T

ie: The Name of the Show! (Hence the correct answers are:
N O)

Many Thanks to all contributors. ??

PS: I have set the show up to record each week. Anyone interested in having more of the questions posted here?
(Do you want them all (from the ones 90% can answer upwards) or just the three "hardest"?)

PS: I have set the show up to record each week. Anyone interested in having more of the questions posted here?
(Do you want them all (from the ones 90% can answer upwards) or just the three "hardest"?)

I like puzzles. Posting the three hardest sounds good to me :thumbup:

This week's 1% Club Show questions.

Remember: You are only allowed 30 seconds to come up with your answer! ? Time yourself and if you don't get it in the 30s be brave enough to admit your failure by letting us all know. ☺️

Example Question (part of the show's introduction):-

What is the answer to this question?

What I if told you there is a mistake in this sentence?
What would you say the mistake is?
Answer: I & if transposed. (look again.)

The 90% Question:-

Logically, which of these children's characters
could be included in this sequence?

Humpty Dumpty
Tinky Winky
Andy Pandy

A: Incy Wincy  or  B: Postman Pat

90% Answer: Incy Wincy (Only names that are rhyming couplets fit the pattern.)

The 80% Question:-

Which of these famous landmarks CANNOT be real?

Unfortunately this involved pictures of: The Statue of Liberty, The Sphinx and The Eiffel Tower so I cannot reproduce them but it was dead easy. I got it instantly because The Statue of Liberty had the London skyline behind it.

The 70% Question:-

Which shape comes next?

70% Answer: A. (It's the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 preceded by their mirror images.)

There were 75 left in the audience to attempt this question but another 25 crashed out on it! ?

The 60% Question:-

These tennis players are identical twins who always dress the
same way on court, yet it is very easy to tell them apart. How?

Again, this was another picture question (two men either side of the centre line both approaching a ball coming over the net with racquets outstretched towards it) but I'm sure you can get this with no more than my description! I was pretty sure I knew the answer before I even looked at the picture.

60% Answer: One left-handed, other right-handed. (Is that possible or just unlikely with identical twins? ?)

14 in the audience got it wrong or ran out of time!

The 50% Question:-

Take a look at what is written below and answer the question.

Own lee too words our rite inn this sentents; witch to?

50% Answer: words & this.

The 45% Question:-

In this puzzle, which animal is the heaviest?

Another picture puzzle I'm afraid (that would take too long to mock up so I've done the best I can) but it was three balances with these animals on the scales:-
A: Elephant, B: Rabbit; C: Mouse & D: Bear. (Elephant/Mouse in balance.)

Elephant Mouse            Bear        Elephant
                           Mouse                      Rabbit

45% Answer: B, The Rabbit
The elephant and the mouse weigh the same and the mouse is heavier than the bear, therefore, since the rabbit weighs more than the elephant (& thus the mouse too), it must be the heaviest.

The 40% Question:-

Take a good look at this picture.
Which candle will burn down first?

40% Answer: B (It's the only one lit!)
I also got this question wrong (never even noticed the flame so opted for the thin one (lowest fuel content); I even put a flame on all of them in my drawing before I saw the correct answer and had to go back and rub three out! ?).

The 35% Question:-

Which of these does NOT mean "BACKWARDS NOT FORWARDS"
in a foreign language?

A: Inapoi nu înainte               B: Geriye, ileriye doğru değil

C: Esrever ni hsilgne tsuj si siht     D: Ruckwärts nicht vorwärts

35% Answer: C (says: This is just English in reverse!)
I ran out of time on this one!

The 30% Question:-

If your newspaper has 20 pages - with
the front cover as page 1 and the
back cover cover as page 20 - and you
read every page, how many times
do you have to turn the page?

30% Answer: 10. (Did you forget to turn the back page? I did, initially, but recovered in time! ?)

The 25% Question:-

What number between 1 and 100 has the
most syllables when said out loud?

25% Answer: 77 (7 is only No. from 1-10 with 2 syllables so 77 has most.)

The 20% Question:-

What well-known 9-word expression is written in code below?

THODEEPUGHT

20% Answer: Deep in thought (A piece of cake for all the Rebus fans in here! lol)

The 15% Question:-

Which animal is half goat
and one third cow?

15% Answer: Cat (Another easy-peasy one!)

The 10% Question:-

Which is the odd one out?

Coffee
Dresser
Grammar
Potato
Revive
Uneven

10% Answer: I got this one right (but for the wrong reason); I'm still claiming it! ? Please don't explain any answers you submit; I'll post this & subsequent answers on Monday.

The 5% Question:-

What can be placed between 3 and 7
to produce a number that is bigger
than 3 and smaller than 7?

5% Answer: I ran out of time on this one, Grrrr! Shudda got it! ?

Only one person survived to face the 1% question but she bottled it and opted to take the £10 grand option rather than risk leaving with nothing. A wise decision as it turned out as she came up with the wrong (but a very plausible) answer. Seems to me, if you're the only one left to face the final question, the £10k is always going to be the sensible thing to plump for. (If several of the finalists opt not to face the 1% question then I believe the £10k prize money (for reaching the 1% stage) gets shared between all those who opt out; so taking the whole £10k is a no-brainer IMNSHO ?)

The 1% Question was:-

On a digital 24-hour clock that displays hours,
minutes and seconds, how many times in each
24-hour period do all six digits change simultaneously?

1% Answer: On Monday.

I got the Example Question and the 90% question wrong! I said "mistake" and opted for Incy Wincy (for no good reason I could think of, lol). I also got the 40% question wrong; went for the skinny one (never even noticed the damn flame!) I ran out of time on four questions: 45%, 25%, 5% and, of course, the 1% but I got the other 11 correct (instantly in several cases) though my 10% answer was a fluke!

How did you do? ?

Last edited:

I don't get the answer to the 1% question.
I don't either. I thought it would be something like - 09:59:59 → 10:00:00 . But for 10→11 & 11→12 & 20→21 & 21→22, etc the leading digit will not change. No matter - it took me way more than 30 sec to think it through.

I don't get the answer to the 1% question.
I don't either. I thought it would be something like - 09:59:59 → 10:00:00 . But for 10→11 & 11→12 & 20→21 & 21→22, etc the leading digit will not change. No matter - it took me way more than 30 sec to think it through.
That's why the TV company were happy to risk paying out £99k to anyone who could think it through correctly in that time. ?
The final contestant came up with the same (wrong) answer as me within that time limit; just as well she opted to take the £10k! ?

Just to be a little bit picky, "3.7" is not the correct answer to the 5% question. ???