This problem is related to direct proportion

felsav

1. A river is flowing downstream at a rate of 2km/h. Murray can swim at a rate of 3km/h. Murray jumps in and swims downstream for a certain distance then turns around and swims upstream back to the start. In total it takes 30 minutes. How far did Murray swim downstream?

Can someone help me solve this problem

1. A river is flowing downstream at a rate of 2km/h. Murray can swim at a rate of 3km/h. Murray jumps in and swims downstream for a certain distance then turns around and swims upstream back to the start. In total it takes 30 minutes. How far did Murray swim downstream?

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

What is Murray's "ground speed" while swimming DOWN stream?

What is Murray's "ground speed" while swimming UP stream?

What is Murray's "ground speed" while swimming DOWN stream?

What is Murray's "ground speed" while swimming UP stream?
Murrays speed swimming downstream= 5km/h

Murray speed swimming upstream= 1km/h

Total time= 0.5 hours

I am stuck from here

Murrays speed swimming downstream= 5km/h

Murray speed swimming upstream= 1km/h

Total time= 0.5 hours

I am stuck from here
Murray swam EQUAL distances - upstream and downstream. Let the total distance be (d + d =) 2*d.

Now calculate time of swimming in terms of 'd' and equate that to 0.5 hrs.

Calculate 'd'. Continue .......

Murray swam EQUAL distances - upstream and downstream. Let the total distance be (d + d =) 2*d.

Now calculate time of swimming in terms of 'd' and equate that to 0.5 hrs.

Calculate 'd'. Continue .......
But the thing I don't understand is how do you know that the distance Murray swam upstream and downstream are equal

According to what you have stated 2d= 30min and d= 15, therefore 5/4 + 1/4 = distance

So is the answer 1.5 km then?

But the thing I don't understand is how do you know that the distance Murray swam upstream and downstream are equal
Murray jumps in and swims downstream for a certain distance then turns around and swims upstream back to the start

You drove to school which is 5km away from your house. What is the distance from the school back to your house?
A better answer would be you took a plane from your house to school which is 5km away and then you crawled back home. What is the distance from the school back to your house?