Transformation Question

Laith

Hello, this was a question on an exam. My teacher doesn't have mark schemes, so I wanted to get a second opinion about this question. Below the question is my answer, not a part of the question.
Thank you
-Laith.

1614010875065.png

Who wrote this question?
To talk about translation and reflection you need two functions to be compared. I can only assume that the given graph is being compared to y=x^2.
Can you try to solve it now??

Probably not my teacher, like the rest of the material in my school, it's been copy pasted from the internet or possibly from some outdated Algebra book. If I assume it's y=x^2:
Reflected on the Y axis and translated approx 80 units up and 40 to the right, and then stretch it by 0.13 horizontally.

Algebra books are generally not outdated.
Can you draw y=x^2 along with each reflection and post all these graphs so we can see what you are thinking?

Probably not my teacher, like the rest of the material in my school, it's been copy pasted from the internet or possibly from some outdated Algebra book.
The only thing wrong with the problem is the lack of context. If you have been studying transformations, then it is probably assuming you will always start from a list of basic functions like f(x) = x^2. It really should state that explicitly.

But the work you showed initially was excellent as far as it went, and in fact a better way to reach the goal of an equation than what the problem asks you to do step by step. But you failed to take into account the vertical scale. Checking the vertex would have been the next step to take. If you'd like we can pursue that method as well as what the problem asks you to do.

Of course, doing the steps as stated will get you the points, as well as a different form for the equation.