Trouble with work

Bob31

I’m having some trouble with these problems and was look for some work and an answer as an example this is not an assignment so it is not due at any particular time b it I would like for it to be done as soon as possible so I can get the hang of these problems

trblwrk.jpeg

I’m having some trouble with these problems and was look for some work and an answer as an example this is not an assignment so it is not due at any particular time b it I would like for it to be done as soon as possible so I can get the hang of these problems

View attachment 29082
Please show whatever parts you can do, and tell us what you find difficult about the rest.

For the part from -2 to 4, have you learned about the greatest integer function (also called floor, and a few other things)? That will be useful.

I have I just wanted the answer so I could work backwards and check my steps

They say to define a function whose graph is shown, but it seems like we're free to decide for each endpoint whether it's included or not.

[imath]\;[/imath]

I’m having some trouble with these problems
Hi Bob. What sort of trouble? Or, what parts do you already understand? It helps us to have a starting point. Is this the first time you've seen a piecewise function? Are you familiar with inequalities? Given coordinates of two points on a line, do you know how to write an equation for that line?

[looking] for some work and an answer as an example … I would like [to] get the hang of these problems
If you google keywords piecewise function examples, you'll find a ton of lessons and worked examples.

:)

Last edited:
Hi Bob. What sort of trouble? Or, what parts do you already understand? It helps us to have a starting point. Is this the first time you've seen a piecewise function? Are you familiar with inequalities? Given coordinates of two points on a line, do you know how to write an equation for that line?

This is my first time doing any of this I just switched schools and the content is different

I have I just wanted the answer so I could work backwards and check my steps
"Working backward from an answer" is a really bad way to learn. You need to learn how to think forward. And we can best help you do that by seeing how you currently think, and helping you improve that.

I have a timed test in this so I wanted a quick way to do these
This implies that you can do it, just not quickly. In order to help you improve, we need to see what you need to improve.

This is my first time doing any of this I just switched schools and the content is different
You are persistently refusing to do as we ask, and show what you can do. Seriously, we want to help you, and in order to do that, we need to see what you can do currently. The problem when you switch to a different curriculum is precisely that they don't know what pieces you haven't learned, so they have to teach blind. You are asking us to do the same thing, when the point of tutoring or helping is that we can find out what help you specifically need and help you right there. We want to do more than what your school can do!

Please show us something by which we can determine where you need help.

I'll start you off. Here's what the graph looks like in the easy case:
1633055129043.png

Compare that with the graph at the bottom here:

Think about what you have to change to make it match the middle part of your graph.

a quick way to do these
Learn basic function definitions and their graph shapes (eg: polynomial, rational, absolute value, step) and how to transform them (eg: reflections, stretching, contracting, shifting -- both vertically and horizontally).

f(x) = a*|x - h| + k

g(x) = a*floor(b*x - h) + k

Those two functions (absolute value and floor) could be used to define the piecewise function in your exercise.

The parameters a, b, h and k control the transformations.

That's a quick way, but the entire topic of transforming various functions to form specific piecewise functions requires weeks of instruction and practice.

If you don't have a graphing calculator, then you could experiment at the site below. They've put together an interactive graph where you can set the parameters a,h,k on the floor function, in order to observe how the (purple) graph changes. It's too bad they forgot parameter b, but you can click in the blue and green function definitions and try multiplying x by your own values of b.

g(x) = a*floor(b*x - h) + k

a = step height parameter
b = step length parameter
h = horizontal shift parameter
k = vertical shift parameter

The following thread contains an absolute value function transformed to fit a piecewise function. You may find it helpful, but, if not, at least it might generate some specific questions.

I regret that your situation has apparently caused you to miss instruction, but without knowing whether you understand things like absolute value functions or any function transformations, I'm not sure what else to add. I'll wait for you to provide more context. Cheers