U∩W

TheWrathOfMath

V= P4[x]

The the basis for W, which is the linear subspace of all polynomials in V such as that when multiplied by (x-2), the resulting polynomial will include only odd degree exponents. is {2x+x^2, 2x^3+x^4}

The basis for U={q(x)∈V | q(-1)=0} ⊆ V=P4[x] is {1-x^4, x+x^4, x^2-x^4, x^3+x^4} .
I found it by letting q(x) = f+gx+hx^2+jx^3+kx^4, used the constraint q(-1)=0 to find that k= -f+g-h+j, and substituted it in q(x), simplified, and obtained the basis.

I was asked to find the intersection of U and W.

I let v∈ U∩W, therefore:

v∈W, hence:
v= c(2x+x^2)+e(2x^3+x^4)

v∈U, hence:
a(1-x^4)+b(x+x^4)+c(x^2-x^4)+d(x^3+x^4)
*Notice that I changed the coefficients from f,g,h,j to a,b,c,d.

v=v, therefore v-v=0 :

a(1-x^4)+b(x+x^4)+c(x^2-x^4)+d(x^3+x^4)-c(2x+x^2)-e(2x^3+x^4) = (0,0).

Now I obtained the following equations:

a+bx+cx^2+dx^3-2cx-2ex^3=0
-ax^4+bx^4-cx^4+dx^4-cx^2-ex^4=0

I thought about attempting to solve the system of equations and expressing some variables using other (free) variables.

How do I do that using a matrix?
I am slightly confused about how will the matrix look like.
Ax=b
Will A be a matrix of the coefficients, x a 1x2 matrix of the variables, and b a 1x2 zero matrix?
If so, don't I need to rearrange my equations, since I have the coefficient c, for instance, appearing in two different terms in the first and second equations?

For instance:

a+bx+c(x^2-2x)+dx^3+e(-2x^3) = 0
a(-x^4)+b(x^4)+c(-x^4-x^2)+d(x^4)+e(-x^4) =0

I am pretty sure it is wrong, though, because then the matrix A will simply contain two rows of only the entry "1"...

Perhaps I need to group and take out like variables, so that:

1(a)+x(b-2c)+x^2(c)+x^3(d-2e) = 0
x^2(-c)+x^4(-a+b-c+d-e) = 0

Last edited:
I've noticed that you are using the same variable `c` in expressions for `v` in U and W.

Right. I wrote: *Notice that I changed the coefficients from f,g,h,j to a,b,c,d.
I am not sure how this is related to my note. Just to make sure we are on the same page, I've marked duplicated variable in bold red in the quote below:

v∈W, hence:
v= c(2x+x^2)+e(2x^3+x^4)

v∈U, hence:
a(1-x^4)+b(x+x^4)+c(x^2-x^4)+d(x^3+x^4)

I am not sure how this is related to my note. Just to make sure we are on the same page, I've marked duplicated variable in bold red in the quote below:
Perhaps I should have continued using the variables f,g,h,j, then.
I thought that I could use the same variables for both equations since v is a vector in both U and W, but perhaps I can't do that.

Perhaps I should have continued using the variables f,g,h,j, then.
I thought that I could use the same variables for both equations since v is a vector in both U and W, but perhaps I can't do that.
I think it is important to start with different sets of variables unless you can justify reusing the same variable in both expressions. I did not notice any justifications there.

I think it is important to start with different sets of variables unless you can justify reusing the same variable in both expressions. I did not notice any justifications there.
I suppose that a better question is how to find the basis of the intersection of U and W, given that the basis for U is
{1-x^4, x+x^4, x^2-x^4, x^3+x^4}, and the basis for W is {2x+x^2, 2x^3+x^4}.

If I use a set of different variables, do I just do what I thought about doing? Subtract the general expression of W from the general expression of U, equate the equation to zero, create two equations and solve them using a matrix?

I suppose that a better question is how to find the basis of the intersection of U and W, given that the basis for U is
{1-x^4, x+x^4, x^2-x^4, x^3+x^4}, and the basis for W is {2x+x^2, 2x^3+x^4}.

If I use a set of different variables, do I just do what I thought about doing? Subtract the general expression of W from the general expression of U, equate the equation to zero, create two equations and solve them using a matrix?
I don't see any problems with this approach, but why do you expect only two equations. Also, the equations I got were simple enough not to require using matrices.

I don't see any problems with this approach, but why do you expect only two equations. Also, the equations I got were simple enough not to require using matrices.
This is what I got:

Let v∈ U∩W, therefore:

v∈W, hence:
v= c(2x+x^2)+e(2x^3+x^4)

v∈U, hence:
f(1-x^4)+g(x+x^4)+h(x^2-x^4)+j(x^3+x^4)

I distributed, subtracted the two expression and equated the equation to zero:

0=2cx+cx^2+2ex^3+ex^4-f-gx-hx^2-jx^3-(-f+g-h+j)x^4

What do I do from here?
Do I rearrange it such that like-terms in terms of variables are grouped together, as in x(something)+x^2(something else)+ . . .
or did I NOT have to distribute the two expressions in the first place and just end up with an equation in which the coefficients are taken out?
For instance, c(something)+e(something else)+ . . .

I don't know if this is the only good approach, but when polynomial is 0 this means that very coefficient is 0. Now you get 5 equations for a bunch of variables, but this equations are actually quite simple once you take a closer look.

I don't know if this is the only good approach, but when polynomial is 0 this means that very coefficient is 0. Now you get 5 equations for a bunch of variables, but this equations are actually quite simple once you take a closer look.
I see.
And what about the other question I asked specifically about the equations?

Do I rearrange 0=2cx+cx^2+2ex^3+ex^4-f-gx-hx^2-jx^3-(-f+g-h+j)x^4
such that like-terms in terms of variables are grouped together, as in x(something)+x^2(something else)+ . . .
or did I NOT have to distribute the two expressions in the first place and just end up with an equation in which the coefficients are taken out?

I see.
And what about the other question I asked specifically about the equations?

Do I rearrange 0=2cx+cx^2+2ex^3+ex^4-f-gx-hx^2-jx^3-(-f+g-h+j)x^4
such that like-terms in terms of variables are grouped together, as in x(something)+x^2(something else)+ . . .
What do you think? What are the coefficients of your polynomial (which has to be 0) ? BTW, sorry for the typo in my previous post: of course I meant "... that every coefficient is 0" instead of
... that very coefficient is 0.

What do you think? What are the coefficients of your polynomial (which has to be 0) ? BTW, sorry for the typo in my previous post: of course I meant "... that every coefficient is 0" instead of
The coefficients are c,e,f,g,h,j.

Those are variables used in the expressions for the coefficients. Let's be more specific: what is the coefficient, say, for [imath]x^2[/imath] ?
I got you.
So the equation will be of the form

0=2cx+cx^2+2ex^3+ex^4-f-gx-hx^2-jx^3+fx^4-gx^4+hx^4-jx^4

0 = 1(-f)+x(2c-g)+x^2(c-h)+x^3(2e-j)+x^4(e+f-g+h-j)

Is that right?

Those are variables used in the expressions for the coefficients. Let's be more specific: what is the coefficient, say, for [imath]x^2[/imath] ?
Perhaps an easier approach would be to take 2cx+cx^2+2ex^3+ex^4 and substitute in the condition of U, so that:

2c(-1)+c(-1)^2+2e(-1)^3+e(-1)^4 =0

I got you.
So the equation will be of the form

0=2cx+cx^2+2ex^3+ex^4-f-gx-hx^2-jx^3+fx^4-gx^4+hx^4-jx^4

0 = 1(-f)+x(2c-g)+x^2(c-h)+x^3(2e-j)+x^4(e+f-g+h-j)

Is that right?
Definitely a step in the right direction. But I'll rephrase my previous question: if you have a polynomial f(x) which must be 0 for all x's what can you tell about its coefficients ?

Perhaps an easier approach would be to take 2cx+cx^2+2ex^3+ex^4 and substitute in the condition of U, so that:

2c(-1)+c(-1)^2+2e(-1)^3+e(-1)^4 =0
I haven't thought of this -- looks like you found an easier, and thus a better, way to solve it. Can you get the final answer and verify it?

I haven't thought of this -- looks like you found an easier, and thus a better, way to solve it. Can you get the final answer and verify it?
I got that the basis for the intersection is {2x+x^2-x^3-x^4}.
It also fits with the dimension formula, since I calculated U+W (for another part of the question), and got
dim(U+W)=5, dimU=4, dimW=2, dim(U∩W)=1.

A agree withe dimension part, but have you tried to verify the result. I.e., does it satisfy both criteria, i.e., for U and W?