'using several transformations' on '8x = x + 14'

kacheb

I am really having problems with my math. My class is studying the topic of "using several transformations". However, since I'm in an online class, I don't really have a "teacher" who could help. Here is an example of what I don't understand:

8x = x + 14
subtract x from both sides:
8x - x = x + 14 - x
which gives us:
7x = 14

How did they get "7x"? Wouldn't it have been "8", if you subtract x from both sides?

I am feeling very confused. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

You need to go back and learn about "variables" and "combining like terms": 8x - 1x is not "8", it is 7x.

Note: If you're studying how to solve linear equations, but have not learned the background (foundational) material, you might want to consider hiring a tutor. By working face to face for a few hours a week (daily would be best), you should be able to get caught up inside a couple of weeks.

Eliz.

kacheb said:
I am really having problems with my math. My class is studying the topic of "using several transformations". However, since I'm in an online class, I don't really have a "teacher" who could help. Here is an example of what I don't understand:

8x = x + 14
subtract x from both sides:
8x - x = x + 14 - x
which gives us:
7x = 14

How did they get "7x"? Wouldn't it have been "8", if you subtract x from both sides?

I am feeling very confused. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Okay so 8x= x+14

like you said subtract x from both sides, you can think of it lke you have eight x's so 8 x's minus one x would leave you with 7x