Want to eat my cake

Steven G

Elite Member
You will have a party tomorrow where either 8 or 9 people will attend. You want to give each person the same amount of cake from one big cake. You want to cut the cut today (so you don't know yet how many people will attend this party) to be ready for tomorrow's party. How would you cut the cake using the least amount of cuts?

Just a side note: this reminds me of a numberphile video on how to cut a cake so that everyone feels that got an equal amount.

Equally sharing a cake between three people - Numberphile​

I don't think this answers your question however.

You will have a party tomorrow where either 8 or 9 people will attend. You want to give each person the same amount of cake from one big cake. You want to cut the cut today (so you don't know yet how many people will attend this party) to be ready for tomorrow's party. How would you cut the cake using the least amount of cuts?
Is it acceptable if someone gets 8 or 9 slivers rather than one piece? Is it acceptable if that happens to some but not to others?

If so, then ...

Make 8 ninths and 8 72nds (16 cuts, from the center), and either give one person (yourself?) all 9 72nds, or give everyone 9th and a 72nd.

The least is 0 cuts because you're going to eat it all the night before the party. No need to cut it.;)

Just a side note: this reminds me of a numberphile video on how to cut a cake so that everyone feels that got an equal amount.

Equally sharing a cake between three people - Numberphile​

I don't think this answers your question however.
Can you please share a better link?

Cool video. The method that I was thinking of (the one that Dr P got) is much simpler as it does not require everyone to be involved.

<broken video link>
@Integrate The 'Insert Media' option for YouTube videos broke, after a forum software update. Video links must now be constructed manually. Two methods are shown in this thread: