What fraction is represented by point A on the number line shown?

How can we find the fraction without the marks on the number line?
thanks for any hint.

It appears that the hash marks on the number-line are equally spaced thirds [imath]\dfrac{1}{3}[/imath]
We have [imath]0=\dfrac{0}{3}~,1=\dfrac{3}{3}~,~2=\dfrac{6}{3}[/imath] so what does [imath]A=~?[/imath]

It appears that the hash marks on the number-line are equally spaced thirds [imath]\dfrac{1}{3}[/imath]
We have [imath]0=\dfrac{0}{3}~,1=\dfrac{3}{3}~,~2=\dfrac{6}{3}[/imath] so what does [imath]A=~?[/imath]
[math]4/3[/math]

Yes, that is it. Couldn't write it properly
Here's a way to write fractions in LaTeX:

\frac{a}{b}

where a is the numerator and b is the denominator.

So... [imath]\frac{a}{b}[/imath]

Sidenote, it looks like on this site using the "In line" option for LaTeX gives smaller numbers, so maybe I should have done it like this 1[imath]\frac{1}{3}[/imath], with the 1 outside the LaTeX in order to be clearly bigger than the one third.

Here's a way to write fractions in LaTeX:

\frac{a}{b}

where a is the numerator and b is the denominator.

So... [imath]\frac{a}{b}[/imath]

Sidenote, it looks like on this site using the "In line" option for LaTeX gives smaller numbers, so maybe I should have done it like this 1[imath]\frac{1}{3}[/imath], with the 1 outside the LaTeX in order to be clearly bigger than the one third.
Interesting. Thank you.

Try it for youself Eddy. Just type tex and /tex in square brackets on either side of what Thadriel said.

We CANNOT !!!
That is what I thought. I'm doing some exercises that have appeared on state-wide math tests going as far as back as 4th and 5th grade just to fill out some gaps in my reasoning with certain problem involving fractions. This exercise is taken from one of the tests. There needs to be an explanation as to how they expect students to answer it without the hashmarks.
Pka gave me a possible explanation. I'm going to ask a math teacher at school today.

If you want [imath]3\frac{1}{3}[/imath] type *imath]3\frac{1}{3}*/imath] but replace * with [
don't find how to type the slanted bar for the division on my keyboard. I can type only /