What fraction is represented by point A on the number line shown?

There needs to be an explanation as to how they expect students to answer it without the hashmarks.
But there are hash marks, what am I missing? If you see 9 hash marks between 0 and 10 you probably assume that they represent 1, 2, 3, ... Why? Apply the same reasoning to the 2 hash marks between 0 and 1.

But there are hash marks, what am I missing? If you see 9 hash marks between 0 and 10 you probably assume that they represent 1, 2, 3, ... Why? Apply the same reasoning to the 2 hash marks between 0 and 1.
I did after what pka explained to me. I meant that all the hash marks were not there like in any number line that is totally marked and numbered

I did after what pka explained to me. I meant that all the hash marks were not there like in any number line that is totally marked and numbered
Sorry, but
1. Hash marks were there
2. 3 of them are numbered: 0, 1, 2. Look at any ruler - most of hash marks are not labeled. It's perfectly reasonable to label only some of them as long as unlabeled marks divide the number line into segments of equal length.

Sorry to keep pointing this out, but it seems like there is some misunderstanding going on.

Sorry, but
1. Hash marks were there
2. 3 of them are numbered: 0, 1, 2. Look at any ruler - most of hash marks are not labeled. It's perfectly reasonable to label only some of them as long as unlabeled marks divide the number line into segments of equal length.

Sorry to keep pointing this out, but it seems like there is some misunderstanding going on.
I see what you mean now, and it is right.

The hash marks are present in your OP.

Why is the question of "without the marks" coming up?
Yes, they are. My confusion was about the fractional thing. how to locate the fraction, but the hash marks should have not been mentioned become like lev said the markers do not need to have numbers in all marks

It is like the fuel gauge in your. Not all the hash marks are marked - but you should know very well when the tank is 1/8 full !!