What to cover in a differential equations module?

matqkks

I will have to teach a first course in differential equations. What should I cover in this module? For example, in most books they have Laplace Transforms which is fine but I would not use LT to solve differential equations.

I want to write a course so that it motivates students and has an impact. What topics and what is the most motivating way to introduce differential equations? I want a well structured and a practical approach to differential equations. It is for mathematics and physics students.

Is this a semester course? Full year course? Short (9 weeks or less)? For my answer, I assumed a semester course.

My 2 cents/suggestions:
- Do a google search for some sample syllabi to see what topics other instructors cover. This will give you an idea of what topics are "important", what topics are "nice-if-we-have-time", and what topics are "Hey-I-never-thought-of-that-topic-before". Will also give you different ideas for various topic sequence combinations.
- I've only taught a short chapter on differential equations as part of a calculus course, but if I were ever to teach a more extensive course I would start with Paul's Online Math Notes: https://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/DE.aspx I've used his website for a lot of supplemental material with my calculus students.
- Think back to your own experience as a student in that course. What topic(s) did you feel were important? What topic(s) did you feel needed more or less treatment?

A module on differential equations typically covers the following topics:
  1. First-order ordinary differential equations (ODEs):
  • Separable equations
  • Linear equations
  • Exact equations
  • Bernoulli equations
  • Integrating factors
  1. Second-order ODEs:
  • Homogeneous equations with constant coefficients
  • Nonhomogeneous equations with constant coefficients
  • Method of undetermined coefficients
  • Variation of parameters
  • Cauchy-Euler equations
  1. Systems of ODEs:
  • Linear systems
  • Nonlinear systems
  • Phase plane analysis
  1. Laplace transforms:
  • Definition and basic properties
  • Inverse Laplace transforms
  • Laplace transforms of derivatives and integrals
  • Laplace transforms of ODEs
  • Convolution theorem
  1. Partial differential equations (PDEs):
  • Classification of PDEs
  • Method of characteristics
  • Separation of variables
  • Fourier series and Fourier transforms
  • Heat equation
  • Wave equation
  • Laplace's equation
  1. Numerical methods for solving ODEs and PDEs:
  • Euler's method
  • Runge-Kutta methods
  • Finite difference methods
  • Finite element methods
In addition to these topics, a differential equations module may also cover applications of differential equations in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.