What's the name of this equation's formula?

Captain Kirk

Hey hey people. I request assistance. What's the name of this equation's formula?

bruhpls.png

The answer is D, but I dont find anything on the internet about it. Its an equation part of a exam model that I am preparing myself into and...as you can see...I dont know everything about math. Do you know the name of the formula needed?

The first symbol, \(C_5^2\), appears to be combinations (binomial coefficient) using the (relatively rare) form \(C_n^k\) mentioned last here; if so, \(P_4\) might mean permutations, \(P_4^4 = 4!\). I have searched everywhere for a meaning for \(A_n^k\) and have not found it.

What is this exam for (and where)? Is there any context that might give a clue as to what topic these are used in? And is there any reference to the syllabus that might use these notations?

Why everything needs to be so complicated...lol.

Its a test model of a exam I will have and one of the questions have that on it, just like that. Thank you Peterson and lex, both of your comments are helpful...just now I will need to do my research. Again, thank you!

Reactions: lex
I have found, thanks to Peterson, on youtube a video about this subject here
if anyone is interested. Thank you!

I was hoping you had found a reference to the particular notation the problem uses, as I have not yet found any place that uses \(A_n^k\), and don't know what the A stands for (perhaps "arrangements"??). If you gave more information about what exam this is for, and where, I might be able to find the information and satisfy my curiosity. (The notation in this video is what I am familiar with in the U.S.)

But it does appear that you have the right information to meet your needs.

I was hoping you had found a reference to the particular notation the problem uses, as I have not yet found any place that uses \(A_n^k\), and don't know what the A stands for (perhaps "arrangements"??). If you gave more information about what exam this is for, and where, I might be able to find the information and satisfy my curiosity. (The notation in this video is what I am familiar with in the U.S.)

But it does appear that you have the right information to meet your needs.
Alright i will tell you. Its a question from an exam that I need to pass to join the army and I suppose that formula is just used in europe. To be fair, I tried to understand it but I kinda cant...or dont want to xD. As I do the calculation I get a close result to the answer, but I never get the exact answer. At least the exam has multiple choices so I would pick the closest match :p. I am not a fan of math, but I am forced to do it...to get a good grade. Remembering too much formulas makes my brain go into hibernation mode.

Hope that satisfies your curiosity and thank you very much for the help

To be fair, I tried to understand it but I kinda cant...or dont want to xD. As I do the calculation I get a close result to the answer, but I never get the exact answer. At least the exam has multiple choices so I would pick the closest match :p.

Please show us your work, so we can help you see where you are going wrong. That's what we're here for!

Its a question from an exam that I need to pass to join the army

Uhura: The alien symbols have been added to the universal translator, Captain!

If you're going in at Captain level then I'm not surprised that you need to pass an exam. Watch out for the "Kobayashi Maru" test! :alien::)

Sorry, you lit the blue touch paper when you decided to use "Captain Kirk" as your username! Good luck in your future career, and do make a post(s) here if we can help with your maths!

Beer soaked comment follows.
What did you put into Google? I find symbols like this hard to search for, so maybe I'm missing a technique.
The Google god's minions Google Lens and Google Images were also no good for this thingamajig.

The Google god's minions Google Lens and Google Images were also no good for this thingamajig.
Yes - even the image was useless.

What did you put into Google? I find symbols like this hard to search for, so maybe I'm missing a technique.
No - you're not missing a technique. I just got lucky. I noticed Mathworld's page on "Permutation" starts:
1625597084083.png

I'm embarrassed to say I simply googled: "arrangement number" math symbol