which of the following situations should not be represented by the double bar graph...

Thanks. Here they are:

B:
View attachment 31403
The vertical axis is not "school activities"; it has to be a number. What number is it? (Do you see this in your example in #9?)

The horizontal axis is not "boys and girls"; the label there has to be about something with give categories.

And where will the names of the five activities be put? (Do you see how each pair of bars has a label in #9?)

C:
View attachment 31402
The vertical axis is not "mountains"; again, it has to be a number. And what are "height 1" and "height 2"? Where do the names of the five mountains go? (Or is it ten?) Where are the names of the continents?

D:
View attachment 31401

This last bit, by the way, is what you need in order to answer their question: Does the graph tell you anything meaningful? Does it help in comparing something? Do the pairs of bars belong together?
Graph B is not meaningful. There is no way I think we can compare the five categories in the x axis
with boys and girsl on the vertical (y axis).

The number of boys and girls that take part in the activities.
Uhmm. This might be the one that can not be represented. How would we arrange that(boys and girls) on the y axis?. It is impossible, right
Try it! Write out a possibility for (B), completely; and if you think it's impossible, tell us why. (People who just say something is impossible with no explanation are usually giving up too easily.)

Okay, Dr Peterson. Here it is.

Attachments

• 20220228_165639.jpg
    20220228_165639.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
The x axis has to to have boys and girls. Boys one bat girls the other.
How about the y axis
How am I going to fix 5 activities there.
Let's suppose it is the other way around.
Activities on the horizontal line and boys and girls on the vertical line. It can't be done . It can't be read like that. That is why I think this is the one not represented

How about the y axis
Activities on the horizontal line and boys and girls on the vertical line. It can't be done . It can't be read like that. That is why I think this is the one not represented
The vertical axis is not "school activities"; it has to be a number. What number is it? (Do you see this in your example in #9?)
What about the number of boys/ girls competing in each activity?

How about the y axis
1646086907321.png

What are there five (pairs) of? That has to be on the horizontal axis. Label the overall axis, and each pair.

What are there two of? Boys vs girls. That has to be the two different colors, and the bars in one pair. You don't have to label each bar as boys or girls; that's taken care of in the key (legend) at the right.

What is there a number of? People (boys or girls) involved in an activity. That has to go on the vertical axis.

Give that a try.

View attachment 31407

What are there five (pairs) of? That has to be on the horizontal axis. Label the overall axis, and each pair.

What are there two of? Boys vs girls. That has to be the two different colors, and the bars in one pair. You don't have to label each bar as boys or girls; that's taken care of in the key (legend) at the right.

What is there a number of? People (boys or girls) involved in an activity. That has to go on the vertical axis.

Give that a try.
Well school activities overall label
I'll name the five different activities
That is the 5 categories of activities that go on the x axis.
Legend
Gray box = boys
White box= girls
A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 <x axis

Now on the y axis
School activities

That's the best I can come up with.

Last edited:
Legend
Gray box = boys
White box= girls
A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 <x axis

Now on the y axis
School activities

Eddy, consider the following data. How would you summarize it with a double bar graph?
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 5.56.51 PM.png

Legend
Gray box = boys
White box= girls
A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 <x axis

Now on the y axis
School activities

This is mostly good.

Have you noticed how very similar this is to your example from #9?

1646092782416.png

Notice that the vertical axis is not labeled "sandwiches", which I think is what you would have used, since you want "school activities" for yours.

On yours, why not write "# of participants"?

Now go ahead and draw it up, and then tell us whether it makes sense after all.

Assuming you are answering my question (in which I don't care about the data), not BBB's, this looks good.

Do you still think it's impossible?

Now do (C) and (D) similarly.

Keep in mind the wording of the problem: "should not be represented by" -- it's not really that it's "impossible" to do it, but that one of these would be an inappropriate representation of the data, because it would not provide a useful comparison.

Assuming you are answering my question (in which I don't care about the data), not BBB's, this looks good.

Do you still think it's impossible?

Now do (C) and (D) similarly.

Keep in mind the wording of the problem: "should not be represented by" -- it's not really that it's "impossible" to do it, but that one of these would be an inappropriate representation of the data, because it would not provide a useful comparison.
I just wanted to answer also BBB's request. I know the data is not important. Just how to set it up.
I think it is quite posible now.

Last edited:
I'll try the rest tomorrow. Time to turn in for the night.
Have you all a good one!. And thanks!.

Okay, this is my work.
I think the double bar graph about the height of mountains on two different continents is kind of awkward to be represented given the data. This is a strong candidate for the right answer.
I have attached here the graph about the amount of cameras sold. BBB had already given me a huge tip about that one so I think this is correct and entirely possible to represent.

Attachments

• 20220301_123820.jpg
    20220301_123820.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220301_124626.jpg
    20220301_124626.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Okay, this is my work.
I think the double bar graph about the height of mountains on two different continents is kind of awkward to be represented given the data. This is a strong candidate for the right answer.
I have attached here the graph about the amount of cameras sold. BBB had already given me a huge tip about that one so I think this is correct and entirely possible to represent.
You swapped the x-axis and y-axis labels for D, even though you said:
X axis > will show categories being compared
Y axis> will have like a scale with numbers
Do you see why it's incorrect?

You swapped the x-axis and y-axis labels for D, even though you said:

Do you see why it's incorrect?
you're right. Did not notice
Number of cameras sold goes o the y axis.
we can create a scale,like

begginning in 10 at the lowest end