which statements about the values of these two numbers are true

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, my wife was telling me if I was not ashamed to put this on the fourm. this is 5th-grade stuff and about decimals. Well, yes, a little bit but I have to ask when I am not getting something.
what is the method to get this question right? .How should I go about trying every option given?
Just a hint is what I need
things I know
well, when we multiply by 100 we're just moving the decimal point two units to the right.
if we divide by 100 we move the decimal point to the left two units.
Is there anything to gain from this for this exercise at hand?
thanks
1646407284654.png

Last edited:
Hi, my wife was telling me if I was not ashamed to put this on the fourm. this is 5th-grade stuff and about decimals. Well, yes, a little bit but I have to ask when I am not getting something.
what is the method to get this question right? .How should I go about trying every option given?
things I know
well, when we multiply by 100 we're just moving the decimal point two units to the right.
Is there anything to gain from this for t his exercise?
thanks
View attachment 31494
You don't have to test every single choice. Ignoring the answer choices for a moment.
How do you get from 0.034 to 3.40?
How do you get from 3.40 to 0.034?
Look for choice(s) that match your answer to those questions.

You don't have to test every single choice. Ignoring the answer choices for a moment.
How do you get from 3.40 to 0.034?
Look for choice(s) that match your answer to those questions.
Thanks, on it!

[math]0.034* 100 =3.4[/math]Choice D

How do you get from
[math]3.40 to 0.034?[/math][math]3.40/100=0.034[/math]Choice B

D) 0.034 is 100 times more than 3.40.
B) 0.034 is 1/100 of 3.4

things I know
Is there anything to gain from this for this exercise at hand?
thanks
Hi eddy2017,

I trust you now have all the right answers, given BigBeachBanana's worthy advice, but I would just like to chip in about one of my pet hates. :mad:

I realise you may well have been taught this in elementary school and there is a very large number of people who think about it this way but you should never move the decimal point anywhere!

The decimal point is a marker between the whole numbers and the fractions and markers must not be 'moved'. What would happen if the road edge-marker posts were shifted in high-altitude areas that often got covered in a layer of snow? :eek:

Rather than talk about moving the decimal point, the correct way to think about it (&, IMNSHO, teach it) is to talk about moving the digits (left to multiply by powers of ten & right to divide by 10n).

Please have a quick look at this one minute video: here.

I am also a tad unhappy about the wording used in your Test Papers which I think is reprehensible in a Maths paper. I believe the terms "more than" & "less than" are somewhat ambiguous and imprecise when talking about multiplication or division; I feel they are more appropriate to addition & subtraction situations. I would rather they had written "3.40 is 100 times greater than 0.340" (or even "bigger than"). :unsure:

This might be a wee bit pedantic on my part (& I'm sure there may be those in here who disagree with me) but I think of Mathematics as a language and improved precision is always a goal worth striving towards! (Say what you mean & mean what you say! :thumbup:8-))

Cheers. :)

Last edited:
Hi eddy2017,

I trust you now have all the right answers, given BigBeachBanana's worthy advice, but I would just like to chip in about one of my pet hates. :mad:

I realise you may well have been taught this in elementary school and there is a very large number of people who think about it this way but you should never move the decimal point anywhere!

The decimal point is a marker between the whole numbers and the fractions and markers must not be 'moved'. What would happen if the road edge-marker posts were shifted in high-altitude areas that often got covered in a layer of snow? :eek:

Rather than talk about moving the decimal point, the correct way to think about it (&, IMNSHO, teach it) is to talk about moving the digits (left to multiply by powers of ten & right to divide by 10n).

Please have a quick look at this one minute video: here.

I am also a tad unhappy about the wording used in your Test Papers which I think is reprehensible in a Maths paper. I believe the terms "more than" & "less than" are somewhat ambiguous and imprecise when talking about multiplication or division; I feel they are more appropriate to addition & subtraction situations. I would rather they had written "3.40 is 100 times greater than 0.340" (or even "bigger than"). :unsure:

This might be a wee bit pedantic on my part (& I'm sure there may be those in here who disagree with me) but I think of Mathematics as a language and improved precision is always a goal worth striving towards! (Say what you mean & mean what you say! :thumbup:8-))

Cheers. :)
Well, for one thing, let me thank you. You have given me the best way to look at that. Wow!. I loved your explanation and I agree ?% that the word choices are confusing. Not an excuse for not knowing how to work the problem but they kind of gave me the bum steer so to speak.
Thanks, I appreciate your insight.

Well, for one thing let me thank you. You have given me the best way to look at that. Wow!. I loved your explanation and I agree ?% that the word choices are confusing. Not an excuse for not knowing how to work the problem but they kind of give me the bum steer so ti speak
Thanks, I appreciate your insight.
I have to go out right now but there are, I'm afraid mistakes in your answers (above). If someone else hasn't pointed them out already, I will do so when I get back home. have another look at your posts #4 & #5. ;)

I'm keeping choice B
B) 0.034 is 1/100 of 3.4

E) 3.4 is 100 times more than 0.034 3.400 is 100 times greater than 0.034 [Grrrr, I thought we'd agreed, lol :p]
Hi again eddy2017,

I see you've now opted for the correct choices (
B & E not B & D). :thumbup:

There was one other (minor) 'error' in your post #4 where you say: "
0.034 ∗ 100 = 3.4" .
Have look at what I've added in red ink (above). Do you notice anything there that might seem "strange" to you (not the 'greater' part)?

In Physics (and other lesser sciences, lol), where we are dealing more often than not with measurements, it's a bit more complicated because we are always looking to account for errors that arise not only from the accuracy of our instruments but also those that also 'creep in' when calculations are performed on results, however, in Maths, where we're dealing mainly in pure numbers, the rule of thumb is to quote your answer to the same 'accuracy' (number of decimal places) as the numbers you started out with in the problem, hence:-

0.034 x 100 = 3.400 (not just 3.4)
The authors of your Test Papers have probably just ignored this for the sake of simplicity but it's worth bearing in mind for future reference. ;)

This also correlates with the idea presented in the video (about moving the digits, not the decimal point). In your initial number (0.034) both the
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{100}\)ths column and the \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1,000}\)ths column are occupied and so shouldn't just be left empty when all the digits are shifted 2 places leftwards (due to your multiplication by 100); these columns should be filled with zeroes.

NB: You should never quote your answer(s) with more decimal places than the original numbers provided; this is often done by students who use a calculator that may show 8 or 9 d.p.'s and they just copy the whole string down as their answer! (I deduct marks for that kind of sacrilege, nasty man that I am! ?)

Hope that helps/is of interest.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi again eddy2017,

I see you've now opted for the correct choices (
B & E not B & D). :thumbup:

There was one other (minor) 'error' in your post #4 where you say: "
0.034 ∗ 100 = 3.4" .
Have look at what I've added in red ink (above). Do you notice anything there that might seem "strange" to you (not the 'greater' part)?

In Physics (and other lesser sciences, lol), where we are dealing more often than not with measurements, it's a bit more complicated because we are always looking to account for errors that arise not only from the accuracy of our instruments but also those that also 'creep in' when calculations are performed on results, however, in Maths, where we're dealing mainly in pure numbers, the rule of thumb is to quote your answer to the same 'accuracy' (number of decimal places) as the numbers you started out with in the problem, hence:-

0.034 x 100 = 3.400 (not just 3.4)
The authors of your Test Papers have probably just ignored this for the sake of simplicity but it's worth bearing in mind for future reference. ;)

This also correlates with the idea presented in the video (about moving the digits, not the decimal point). In your initial number (0.034) both the
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{100}\)ths column and the \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1,000}\)ths column are occupied and so shouldn't just be left empty when all the digits are shifted 2 places leftwards (due to your multiplication by 100); these columns should be filled with zeroes.

NB: You should never quote your answer(s) with more decimal places than the original numbers provided; this is often done by students who use a calculator that may show 8 or 9 d.p.'s and they just copy the whole string down as their answer! (I deduct marks for that kind of sacrilege, nasty man that I am! ?)

Hope that helps/is of interest.

Cheers.
Thanks. I saw the video ( not watch it yet) I'll watch it tomorrow and as I'm used to to do when I watch something new, I will write everything down and file this information away. It is very interesting and important to waste. Nice little video.
And, you call me eddy, as the rest of tutors do.