Word problem- conducting an experiment

rachelmaddie

I need this checked please.
A6B79230-22EC-4840-B9AD-B8B8607129C0.png

Objective of the experiment
To test if the multivitamin made by a research company is beneficial or not for abolishing short term memory.

Population
The best candidates for a test would be chosen from the largest city hospital where people are suffering from short term memory loss. Suppose 130 people are suffering from short term memory loss.

Experimental and control groups
Suppose 70 people are being tested in the experimental group and 60 people reside in the control group.

Sample procedure
Select 70 patients from the hospital in the experimental group, then provide the multivitamin for several months to determine if their memory has improved in comparison to patients in the control group.

A research company wants to test the claim that their multivitamin helps to improve short term memory. Nowhere do they claim their vitamins are for short term memory sufferers. To me it seems that they claim their vitamins will work on the average person so I do not like your population.

A research company wants to test the claim that their multivitamin helps to improve short term memory. Nowhere do they claim their vitamins are for short term memory sufferers. To me it seems that they claim their vitamins will work on the average person so I do not like your population.
What should I say then for population?

"Abolishing short term memory" is a strange choice of words! Did you mean to say that after taking this medication you would have NO short term memory at all? And that was the purpose of the medicine?

Jomo said "To me it seems that they claim their vitamins will work on the average person" so "everyone" would be the population!

"Abolishing short term memory" is a strange choice of words! Did you mean to say that after taking this medication you would have NO short term memory at all? And that was the purpose of the medicine?

Jomo said "To me it seems that they claim their vitamins will work on the average person" so "everyone" would be the population!
I see what you are saying. So what would I state for my experimental and control group?

I see what you are saying. So what would I state for my experimental and control group?
How would you pick a population that includes "everyone"?

How about a whole population of university students?

I’m lost with this problem. Can you please help me with the population?

Not the patients you picked since those patients are suffering from short term memory loss! Pick some sample of people who are not suffering from short term memory loss.

Not the patients you picked since those patients are suffering from short term memory loss! Pick some sample of people who are not suffering from short term memory loss.
How about the population of students in university?