difference in sales price

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear tutors:
One store sells a particular tv for $375 but is offering it at a 20 percent discount off the regular price this week. a second store sells the same tv for $400 but is having a 30% off sale this week. what is the difference in the sales price before a a 6% sale tax is added?

Given
TV1 regular price $375 being sold at 20% discount
tv2 .......................$400 …....................... 30%

tv1
to find how much the 20% discount is off the regular price 375*0.2= 75 dollars
So,
375-75=300 dollars sales price

tv2
400*0.3=120 dollars off the sales price
400-120=280
the difference in the sales price is 20 dollars

I am asking for your confirmation of this solution,
Thanks a lot for all the help and hints you give.
eddy

Hi, dear tutors:
One store sells a particular tv for $375 but is offering it at a 20 percent discount off the regular price this week. a second store sells the same tv for $400 but is having a 30% off sale this week. what is the difference in the sales price before a a 6% sale tax is added?

Given
TV1 regular price $375 being sold at 20% discount
tv2 .......................$400 …....................... 30%

tv1
to find how much the 20% discount is off the regular price 375*0.2= 75 dollars
So,
375-75=300 dollars sales price

tv2
400*0.3=120 dollars off the sales price
400-120=280
the difference in the sales price is 20 dollars

I am asking for your confirmation of this solution,
Thanks a lot for all the help and hints you give.
eddy
Looks good to me!

All looks good to me. My concern is that you did not answer the question.

I do not think that you copied the problem correctly. You might be off by maybe one letter. Can you post a picture of the problem, please?

All looks good to me. My concern is that you did not answer the question.

I do not think that you copied the problem correctly. You might be off by maybe one letter. Can you post a picture of the problem, please?
I do not understand. Isn't 20 dollars the difference in sales tax before the tax is added?.
I was taking a look at the problem an is exactly written the way it is in my paper.

I do not understand. Isn't 20 dollars the difference in sales tax before the tax is added?.
I was taking a look at the problem an is exactly written the way it is in my paper.
Isn't $75 the difference between the regular price and sale price before the sales tax is added on.

Please post the exact problem. Just do it so we can move on.

There are three differences in sale price(s) that I see.

1)There is the difference between the $375 regular price and the $300 sale price ($75 difference)

2)There is the difference between the $400 regular price and the $280 sale price ($120)

3) there is the difference between the two sale prices. That is the difference between $300 and $280 ($20)

Now your problem asked what is the difference in the sales price before a a 6% sale tax is added?

That is not clear at all! I suspect that you copied it wrong in your post. Please post a picture of the exact problem

There are three differences in sale price(s) that I see.

1)There is the difference between the $375 regular price and the $300 sale price ($75 difference)

2)There is the difference between the $400 regular price and the $280 sale price ($120)

3) there is the difference between the two sale prices. That is the difference between $300 and $280 ($20)

Now your problem asked what is the difference in the sales price before a a 6% sale tax is added?

That is not clear at all! I suspect that you copied it wrong in your post. Please post a picture of the exact problem
Mr Jomo, have I not always posted what you have asked immediately?.
This is what I have. I do not have any other problem. If it is in my folder is because I found it, maybe a week ago, a month ago, four months ago. and copied it. I keep folders with different math exercises that I copy. It is a habit i have of typing things and keeping them in a folder. I don't have any other problem. Why would I be looking for an answer and lying to you about the problem?. With all due respect, that does not make sense. Feel free to rectify the wording if you want. All I asked was confirmation. I found it too easy, I have to concede that to you.

Dr Khan gave me a like. That meant he found no fault in the problem. What have you found that has made you think there is something wrong?.

Mr Jomo, have I not always posted what you have asked immediately?.
This is what I have. I do not have any other problem. If it is in my folder is because I found it, maybe a week ago, a month ago, four months ago. and copied it. I keep folders with different math exercises that I copy. It is a habit i have of typing things and keeping them in a folder. I don't have any other problem. Why would I be looking for an answer and lying to you about the problem?. With all due respect, that does not make sense. Feel free to rectify the wording if you want. All i asked was confirmation. I found it too easy, i have to concede that to you.
The image you posted is for a totally different problem. You claim that I do not have any other problem. Then you go onto say I keep folders with different math exercises that I copy. It is a habit i have of typing things and keeping them in a folder. So you have other problems but you only have the one you posted. You do realize that is a contradictory statement? You posted the problem today and I suspect that you put it in your folder or you deleted it. If you deleted it today you can retrieve, if you put it in your folder you can retrieve. Hence you can retrieve it. Look for it. We need to see exactly what it says!

Dr Khan gave me a like. That meant he found no fault in the problem. What have you found that has made you think there is something wrong?.
Dr Khan 1st language is not English. besides it is easy to miss that the problem, as posted, is not correct. Dr Khan is brilliant but why would you just go by what he says after I pointed out a problem?
Did you read my earlier post that clearly talks about three different price difference?
You yourself found two price difference yet chose one for your answer. Why not the other one? Why not the third one I listed?