estimate

Yes, then,
D= 30 miles/hr * 1hr =30 miles.
Got it!.
then i can add up the two amounts of miles.
150 miles + 30 miles =180 miles. that is the reasonable estimate of the total number of miles that lee drove from Swanson to Westport.
Thanks a lot.
You are being careless again (about units).

Could you reread this thread?
Notice any similarity with previous threads?
What I noticed: after my repeated suggestions to stop and think about what the question is asking you and starting there, you continue to do random operations with random numbers from the problem. Do you think this approach is useful?
I am doing that. But it's the start-off that kills me.

I am doing that. But it's the start-off that kills me.
you talked about in your first reply that I should make an equation with the data given. I tried to but i got stuck on how to write the variation in the speeds. How would you do it?.

you talked about in your first reply that I should make an equation with the data given. I tried to but i got stuck on how to write the variation in the speeds. How would you do it?.
My try
total # miles= His driving speed varied from 40 miles per hour to 60
this is what I do not know how to write mathematically. Nothing comes to mind.

My try
After spending some time on this problem you should know that total number of miles is ?

My try
In my opinion when you repeatedly make the same mistake over and over again you are not trying hard enough. Now I am sure that you are going to say otherwise but that is my opinion.

total # miles= His driving speed varied from 40 miles per hour to 60. To the left of the equal sign you have miles. To the right of the equal sign you have mph. Why is there an equal sign there?

Hi, dear professors:
Lee drove from Swanson to Dennison in 3 hours without stopping. His driving speed varied from 40 miles per hour to 60 mph. lee then drove from Dennison to Westport in 1 hour without stopping. His speed on this part of the trip varied from 20mph to 40 mph. What is the reasonable estimate of the total number of miles that lee drove from Swanson to Westport?.
Given
from Swanson to Dennison in 3 hours. No stopping.
his driving speed varied from 40 miles per hour to 60 mph.
from Dennison to Westport in 1 hour without stopping.
His speed on this part of the trip varied from 20mph to 40 mph
What is the reasonable estimate of the total number of miles that lee drove from Swanson to Westport=?

I need a hint to get started.
Thanks in advance,
eddy
What would be the MINIMUM distance between Swanson to Westport?

What would be the MAXIMUM distance between Swanson to Westport?

What would be the MINIMUM distance between Swanson to Westport?

What would be the MAXIMUM distance between Swanson to Westport?
I know the minimum and maximum speed from Swanson to Dennison, which is
40 mph * 3 h= 120 miles
60 mph* 3h= 180miles

but the total minimum or max speed don't know.

150 miles + 30 miles =180. that is the reasonable estimate of the total number of miles that lee drove from Swanson to Westport.

I am totally confused . We all agreed that a reasonable estimate of the miles between the two destinations was 180 and now you are saying it is not.
Does that reasonable estimate fall between the maximum and minimum values?

That is how you would defend the "reasonableness" of your answer!!

I am totally confused . We all agreed that a reasonable estimate of the miles between the two destinations was 180 and now you are saying it is not.
I am not saying 180 is incorrect. I am saying that you are making mistakes because you are not following a consistent approach. E.g. can you explain your reasoning that led you to multiply two speed values and say that the result is a distance?

Just pure logic. Driving at 40 mph * 3h = 120 miles cos the hrs cancel out