estimate

I used the mean.
adding up both amounts and divinding it by 2 ( 2 being the total number of points in the data set, in this case both speeds in mph.
40 + 60 =100/2 =50
20 + 40 =60/2 =30
that is how I found it.
That is how you found your answer! Good job! My question is why do you think that your answer of 180 miles sounds reasonable? This question has nothing to do with how you found your answer! You, not me, chose to write that your final answer of 180 miles sounds reasonable. I am just asking how you made that decision? Do you understand my question???

That is how you found your answer! Good job! My question is why do you think that your answer of 180 miles sounds reasonable? This question has nothing to do with how you found your answer! You, not me, chose to write that your final answer of 180 miles sounds reasonable. I am just asking how you made that decision? Do you understand my question???
let me think, please.

let me think, please.
You should not have to think about this. When you wrote that the answer was reasonable were you just saying that for no reason or did you have a legitimate reason for writing it?

I really don't see why. It may have to deal with the formula to find distance, but i am not sure. I am sorry. I am not.

A reasonable estimate (of something) when given in a problem does not exceed the original numbers in a problem. It has to be within the confines of the amounts given. That I found online while searching if there was a formula when we needed to find distance with non-uniform speeds, speeds that are not constant. I could not find anything about that though.
OK That is a formal definition. A less formal definition of "reasonable estimate" is "at least as great as the minimum possible and no greater than the maximum possible." That is what is meant by "within the confines of the amounts given."

Does that make sense to you?

What is frequently said about estimates is whether they are "best case," "worst case," or "reasonable." A reasonable estimate is neither the lowest nor the highest possible, but somewhere in between. There is no "right" answer for an estimate. Wow, do you see how much frustration you would have avoided if you had been clear in your mind about what the problem was asking.

It was clever of you to look for information on non-uniform speed. Unfortunately, the formulas for that come from calculus. But this problem does not require even algebra. What is the minimum distance? What is the maximum distance? A reasonable estimate will fall in between. You have an arithmetic problem.

EDIT: I see there was a discussion of "arithmetic mean." Why is that a common way to find a reasonable estimate?

I really don't see why. It may have to deal with the formula to find distance, but i am not sure. I am sorry. I am not.
I don't mind that you do not see why your answer is reasonable. No problem at all. I am concerned that YOU wrote that your answer is reasonable!! Why would you write that if you do not know why your answer is reasonable?

I don't mind that you do not see why your answer is reasonable. No problem at all. I am concerned that YOU wrote that your answer is reasonable!! Why would you write that if you do not know why your answer is reasonable?
I'm sorry but I have to say this. You know how appreciative I am of your help. If I am here is because I want to learn math. I am not good at all with Math, but I like it and would love to learn. I do not want you to do my exercises for me. I want you to drop hints after hints until you lead me without saying straight up to the solution. I don't want to solve school homework or nothing like that. I feel you are talking to me like I am sort of a kid gifted in Math but reluctant to answer questions. It is easy to lose track of how little people know of a subject when you know a lot. And you all do. I want to learn. Just that but needs to be guided carefully until I feel more comfortable. With practice it ll be easier with time
Might take years cos there's a lot math.

OK That is a formal definition. A less formal definition of "reasonable estimate" is "at least as great as the minimum possible and no greater than the maximum possible." That is what is meant by "within the confines of the amounts given."

Does that make sense to you?

What is frequently said about estimates is whether they are "best case," "worst case," or "reasonable." A reasonable estimate is neither the lowest nor the highest possible, but somewhere in between. There is no "right" answer for an estimate. Wow, do you see how much frustration you would have avoided if you had been clear in your mind about what the problem was asking.

It was clever of you to look for information on non-uniform speed. Unfortunately, the formulas for that come from calculus. But this problem does not require even algebra. What is the minimum distance? What is the maximum distance? A reasonable estimate will fall in between. You have an arithmetic problem.

EDIT: I see there was a discussion of "arithmetic mean." Why is that a common way to find a reasonable estimate?
Thanks for all this information. It is new to me. Very interesting.

It will be easier and less stressful if I get clear hints that lead me somewhere.

Eddy

People who are trying to help you learn on your own get frustrated when you do not answer questions posed to you. We do not expect you to know as much math as we do: that would be ridiculous, but the best way to teach is to ask the student questions, to make the student understand why the answer is correct. In my previous post, I asked four questions. You did not make an effort to answer one of them. The questions are hints.

I'm sorry but I have to say this. You know how appreciative I am of your help. If I am here is because I want to learn math. I am not good at all with Math, but I like it and would love to learn. I do not want you to do my exercises for me. I want you to drop hints after hints until you lead me without saying straight up to the solution. I don't want to solve school homework or nothing like that. I feel you are talking to me like I am sort of a kid gifted in Math but reluctant to answer questions. It is easy to lose track of how little people know of a subject when you know a lot. And you all do. I want to learn. Just that but needs to be guided carefully until I feel more comfortable. With practice it ll be easier with time
Might take years cos there's a lot math.
You obviously have no idea what I have been saying. There was no math really involved in my previous post. You made a comment that I asked you to explain. Apparently you can not explain it. I am just asking that you do not say things for no reason.

May I asked what you 1st language is? How long have you been speaking English for?

Eddy

People who are trying to help you learn on your own get frustrated when you do not answer questions posed to you. We do not expect you to know as much math as we do: that would be ridiculous, but the best way to teach is to ask the student questions, to make the student understand why the answer is correct. In my previous post, I asked four questions. You did not make an effort to answer one of them. The questions are hints.
I do not know how. Otherwise I would have answered. Questions are stressful. It is better a hint.

You solved this problem correctly. Unless you have any additional questions about this problem I think the thread should end here.

I do not know how. Otherwise I would have answered. Questions are stressful. It is better a hint.
Sometimes, questions are hints!.

I remember once my friend was trying to solve a problem while assuming that an odd number plus an odd number was an odd number. I asked him what 5 + 7 was and his response was come on I need help with this problem so stop asking me questions. I never did finish helping him.

Sometimes, questions are hints!.

I remember once my friend was trying to solve a problem while assuming that an odd number plus an odd number was an odd number. I asked him what 5 + 7 was and his response was come on I need help with this problem so stop asking me questions. I never did finish helping him.
Different methods for different leaners, I would dare say. Not everyone learns the same way.

This thread is going to be closed and I am gonna be left wondering why that was a reasonable estimate. Was this successful. Not it was not