Figuring out the radius of a sphere, using only the volume

Xentus

So basically here's the problem :

Calculate the radius of a sphere with a volume of 1.73m3 (correct to 1 decimal place)

So far I know how to get the volume of a sphere with using either diameter, or radius, 4/3πr3 but I can't seem to figure out how to get the answer with just the volume, so far I've tried "reverse-engineering" the problem, like saying 1.73 cube-root = 1.200, but that didn't work. I also tried removing π from 1.73, but that didn't help either. If my attempts seem stupid and pathetic, that's because I'm horrible at math, and equation-solving so pardon me for my knowledge.

Last edited:

Calculate the radius of a sphere with a volume of 1.73m3 (correct to 1 decimal place)

So far I know how to get the volume of a sphere with using either diameter, or radius, 4/3πr3 but I can't seem to figure out how to get the answer with just the volume, so far I've tried "reverse-engineering" the problem, like saying 1.73 cube-root = 1.200, but that didn't work. I also tried removing π from 1.73, but that didn't help either. If my attempts seem stupid and pathetic, that's because I'm horrible at math, and equation-solving so pardon me for my knowledge.[/math]
Since we are given the volume and you know the formula, you get the following equation:
1.73 = 4/3πr3
Can you solve it for r?
If not, how about 8 = 4*x? Can you solve it for x?

Since we are given the volume and you know the formula, you get the following equation:
1.73 = 4/3πr3
Can you solve it for r?
What's x? Volume? Radius? or is it unknown

So far I know how to get the volume of a sphere with using either diameter, or radius, 4/3πr3 but I can't seem to figure out how to get the answer with just the volume, so far I've tried "reverse-engineering" the problem, like saying 1.73 cube-root = 1.200, but that didn't work. I also tried removing π from 1.73, but that didn't help either. If my attempts seem stupid and pathetic, that's because I'm horrible at math, and equation-solving so pardon me for my knowledge.
The "reverse-engineering" you're talking about is called algebra -- solving an equation. In order to help, we need to help you learn equation-solving skills. And for that, we need to know how far you are along that path.

If the equation you were solving was 8 = 4x, your goal would be to get x by itself, by undoing (reversing) what is done in the equation. What operation undoes multiplication by 4? Do that to both sides of the equation.

In the equation you actually want to solve, 1.73 = 4/3πr3, several things are being done to the variable r. It is being cubed, then multiplied by pi, and by 4/3. You need to undo each of those things, in the right order, in order to get r by itself. You have the idea that a cube root will undo the cube; but first you have to undo the multiplications so that there is just a cube to undo. Show us some steps, and we can help you correct them if they are wrong. But trying (and being willing to show your weakness so others can help) is the first step.

The "reverse-engineering" you're talking about is called algebra -- solving an equation. In order to help, we need to help you learn equation-solving skills. And for that, we need to know how far you are along that path.

If the equation you were solving was 8 = 4x, your goal would be to get x by itself, by undoing (reversing) what is done in the equation. What operation undoes multiplication by 4? Do that to both sides of the equation.

In the equation you actually want to solve, 1.73 = 4/3πr3, several things are being done to the variable r. It is being cubed, then multiplied by pi, and by 4/3. You need to undo each of those things, in the right order, in order to get r by itself. You have the idea that a cube root will undo the cube; but first you have to undo the multiplications so that there is just a cube to undo. Show us some steps, and we can help you correct them if they are wrong. But trying (and being willing to show your weakness so others can help) is the first step.
I did 1.73 ÷ ‭1.3333333333333333333333333333333‬, then ÷ by π, then I took the number and multiplied it by itself, the answer seemed kinda odd, I think I'm totally off with the calculations. I appreciate the help, oh and I also did the other way around (1.73 ÷ π, and so on)

I did 1.73 ÷ ‭1.3333333333333333333333333333333‬, then ÷ by π, then I took the number and multiplied it by itself, the answer seemed kinda odd, I think I'm totally off with the calculations. I appreciate the help, oh and I also did the other way around (1.73 ÷ π, and so on)
Please don't just describe what you did; show us your results at each step so wee can see where your errors are.

Your last step sounds wrong. Why would you multiply it by itself?

Do you know how to calculate cube-root (in your calculator)?

V = (4/3)pi r^3. For now, just to see where you are, let's call (4/3)pi, K. So you have V=Kr^3. Can you solve for r^3? How about for r?

V = (4/3)pi r^3. For now, just to see where you are, let's call (4/3)pi, K. So you have V=Kr^3. Can you solve for r^3? How about for r?

r is 4.1887902047863909846168578443727 ???

Also guys sorry my answers are late, I have to get offline at a certain time everyday.

1.73 = 4/3πr3
Can you solve it for r?

8 = 4*2
Take the 8 and divide it by 4?

Please don't just describe what you did; show us your results at each step so wee can see where your errors are.

Your last step sounds wrong. Why would you multiply it by itself?

I don't know, as I said I'm horrible at math.

8 = 4*2
Take the 8 and divide it by 4?
So, to find x we divide both sides by 4: 8/4 = (4x)/4 ===> 2 = x. Makes sense?
In general, given A = Bx, to find x we try to isolate it on one side of the equation. How do we get x if we have Bx? We divide by B. We are allowed to divide by sides by the same number. So, A/B = (Bx)/B ===> A/B = x.
If we have something like A = B*C*x we apply the same method by dividing both sides by B, then by C. Or by (B*C) - same thing.

1.73 = 4/3πr3
We can't find r right away. Let's solve for r3. Can you do it? Do you see that it looks like A=BCx? (4/3 is B, π is C)

Ok I hope I'm understanding correct, 1.73 ÷ ‭1.3333333333333333333333333333333‬, then ÷ π ?
Am I correct? I got ‭0.41300707732346839632025336595167‬.

Just in case I'm wrong, then here's what I attempted to do : "If we have something like A = B*C*x we apply the same method by dividing both sides by B, then by C. Or by (B*C) - same thing."

Ok I hope I'm understanding correct, 1.73 ÷ ‭1.3333333333333333333333333333333‬, then ÷ π ?
Am I correct? I got ‭0.41300707732346839632025336595167‬.

Just in case I'm wrong, then here's what I attempted to do : "If we have something like A = B*C*x we apply the same method by dividing both sides by B, then by C. Or by (B*C) - same thing."
Ok.
So, r3 = 0.41300707732346839632025336595167. Can you solve it?
This may help:

Is the answer 0.74470767765?
Yes.
Do you understand how to solve equations like this? The unknown is wrapped in several layers of operations, you need to keep taking layers off one at a time by applying the reverse of the 'outer layer' operation to both sides of the equation.

I think I know understand, thank you so much! How do I rate best answer?