The equation of line A is given by 2y − x = 6. 2 y minus x equals 6 Select the equation that could represent line B

Eddy

Please, i literally beg you: do not just answer. I had a good friend; we used to have drinks together after work two or three nights a week.He had been trained as a lawyer, and I used to say to him that the worst aspect of legal training was the emphasis on an immediate answer. In 99.9% of life outside a courtroom, a burning building, or an emergency room, what is important is a correct answer rather than a speedy one.

This problem had two aspects. First, if the slope is positive, the function rises going from left to right, and , if the slope is negative, the function falls going from left to right. That is what slope means. That meant two equations were immediately not suitable.

Second, if two linear equations are both in slope-intercept form, the one with the greater intercept cuts the y-axis above the other.

This whole problem was about understanding what QUALITATIVE information can be deduced by comparing linear equations in slope-intercept form.
I totally understand that now. I was just trying to satisfy the questions asked of me.
Take a look at the whole thread and you will realize what I say.

No, I meant the picture with grids. Do line A and line B intercept on x=0 a.k.a the y-axis?
No they're not

rectifying: the two choices that could have been eliminated right off the bat according to the slope of the original equation is B and D
Notice in your OP you do not have choice B or D for answer. You do have choices 2 & 4, however.

I bring this up only to remind you to read carefully and have the FIND in front of you. Know the justification of the steps you are taking. Without that it will be wheeling in the mud - lot of splatter with very little (if any) progress.

This is response #63. With proper attention, this problem should have been wrapped in 5 (may be 10) responses.

If I were to tackle this assignment - I would first analyze the line A and get an idea about the scale used in the axes (since it has not been shown explicitly).
When x =0 we have y = 3 and

when y = 0 we have x = -6

so for line B, as drawn

When x =0 we have y = ? and

when y = 0 we have x = ?

Now check which of those equations (including BBBs response) match your calculations, approximately.
Would you care to explain this to me?. I don't fully get it. Idid not get that about the scales.

I waited to post this about the graph. This is not about eddy2017's work back and
forth. The original graph given is not drawn correctly. Or, it is drawn inconsistently
with the given information and the answer choice.

For 2x - y = 6, the slope is 1/2. On the graph, the slope of Line A is less than 1, but
it is closer to 1 than it is to 1/2. Also, for the answer for Line B to be y = -2x + 7, its slope would be -2. That is the negative reciprocal of 1/2. That would make the two lines on the graph to be perpendicular to each other, but they are not drawn that way.

Last edited: