prove arithmetic-geometric mean inequality for n = 3

yaszine

The excercise is as follows:

Prove the arithmetic-geometric-mean inequality for n = 3.

I'm totally lost! I don't even know what "arithmetic mean" means! Thank you!

Sincerely,
yassine

Suppose that each of a & b is a nonnegative number and \(\displaystyle a > b.\)

Then \(\displaystyle a_1 = \frac{{a + b}}{2}\quad \& \quad b_1 = \sqrt {ab}.\)

Thus we see that: \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{l}
a_1 < \frac{{a + a}}{2} = a\quad \& \quad b_1 > \sqrt {b^2 } = b \\
\frac{{a + b}}{2} \ge \sqrt {ab} \quad \Rightarrow \quad a > a_1 \ge b_1 > b \\
\end{array}\)

Do it again!
For n=2 define \(\displaystyle a_2 = \frac{{a_1 + b_1 }}{2}\quad \& \quad b_2 = \sqrt {a_1 b_1 }.\)
Then show that \(\displaystyle a > a_1 > a_2 \ge b_2 > b_1 > b.\)

Now you do it for n=3.

:( i don't quite get how i can use it to prove that for an x,y,z real numbers,
(x+y+z)^3>= 3xyz !!
could u please give me a litle bit stronger hint !
thanks !!
sincerly,
yassine !

ps: of course, u're very welcome to give me simply the answer instead of the hint!
thanks

yaszine said:
could u please give me a litle bit stronger hint !
What have you tried? How far have you gotten? Where are you stuck?

yaszine said:
[You're] very welcome to give me simply the answer....
I certainly hope you're not waiting for somebody to "do" your assignment for you. Most (legitimate) tutors don't do that.

Please reply showing everything you have tried so far. Thank you.

Eliz.

i don't actually understand why you want me to use a2 and b2 !! and how can i use the case for n=2 that you showed to prove the assertion for 3 !!
am i gonna assume that a>b>c or what ?! what i mean by i don't get what you mean or how i could use it, is that it doesn't make so much sense for me!!
and yeah ! of course i worked on it way too much before i actually got to post it in the forum ! and i'm still working on it ! but as i spent too much time on it, i think i deserve to know how it can be solved as the most important is that i, by now have the problem graved into my memory and so would be it's solution!
ok thanks for your help!
sincerly,
yassine

ps: i don't think that what i tried is important as it didn't lead me to any solution but just too many useless computations !

yaszine said:
I don't quite get how i can use it to prove that for an x,y,z real numbers, (x+y+z)^3>= 3xyz !!
This is the “Arithmetic-Geometric Mean”.
You can find a complete discussion in AN INTRODUCTION TO INEQUALITIES by Richard Bellman.

i know what arithmetic mean means !! i'm even using it in my computations for n=2 to prove my assertion !

yaszine said:
I'm totally lost! I don't even know what "arithmetic mean" means!
yaszine said:
I know what arithmetic mean means!
We're glad to hear that you've made progress. But it would be helpful to see some of that progress here.

Thank you.

Eliz.

proved it !

oh i think i've proved ! it was quite late the time when i got to it but still !
i arrived at an expression saying 7xyz(2a^(1/n) + b^(1/n)) + 6 xyz !!
and so 2a^(1/n) + b^(1/n) tends to 3 as n goes to infinity (by applying the mean average arithmetic mean n times) thus the whole thing become >= 27xyz meaning that x+y+z >= 3 root of(xyz) !! :D
i hope my proof makes sens to you !
thank you for your help !!
sincerly,
yassine

ps: i didn't post my computations before i proved it cuz i was afraid i was in a wrong track ! but i wasnt!! :lol:

it would be really helpful though if you know any website where i can exercise some binomial distrubtions including the methode of generating functions ! i have a midterm next tuesday and i'm really worried about it !
thanks very much for ur help again !
sincerly,
yassine!