quadratic eqns: number, type of solutions; solving

will7675

I'm lost, as usual!

1) Predict the number and type of solutions of 4x^2 - 12x + 9 = 0

I thought that I found multiples of nine that added to 12, but it doesn't work that way, or so it appears!

And how do I start working these:

2) Solve using any method: x^2 + 5x = 4

I have it where it is set to zero--> x^2 + 5x - 4 = 0 and now I am stuck!

3) Solve using any method: 3x^2 + x - 1 = 0

If anyopne has any suggestions how I should start these or what steps I need to take, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

So the Quadratic Formula, factoring quadratics, completing the square, and graphing quadratics have not yet been covered in class or in your textbook at all...? You might want to conference with your academic advisor; it seems inappropriate that your instructor is assigning homework over topics that you have never seen. :shock:

1) To learn about the Quadratic Formula and how the "discriminant" (the stuff inside the square root in the Formula) relates to the number and type of solutions, try here.

2 & 3) To learn about the various methods of solving quadratics (if you want to learn about more than just the Quadratic Formula, above), then try here.

Once you have learned the basic terms and techniques, please attempt the exercises. If you get stuck, please reply showing how far you have gotten. On (2) and (3), please specify the method you have chosen for solving.

Thank you.

Eliz.