arrange book's question

neworld222

there's 10 books ,apoint 5 books of the 10 books,now you need put 10 books on one line.
question: Probability of appointed 5 books take together

there's 10 books ,apoint 5 books of the 10 books,now you need put 10 books on one line.

Please tell us what does "appoint" mean in this context?

I am unfamiliar with that term.

I think they mean 'choose'.

Please clarify your problem. It's difficult to understand what you mean.

One way to do this would be to choose the five boks and keep those together. Now you have six slots and six "books".

You can arrange those in 6! way

You can arrange those five "chosen" books in 5! ways

Can you continue to finish ?

neworld222 said:
The soul of mathematics is exactitude, which could explain the difficulties we're having here...? :shock:

I will guess that English is not your first language, and that you have attempted to translate this exercise from whatever was its original language. I think you mean the following:

From ten books, five are chosen. The ten books are to be placed in a row on a shelf. Find the probability that the five chosen books will end up standing together, side by side, on that shelf.
Please confirm or correct. (If the text needs to be corrected, please try to have a English-fluent friend help you out.)

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Subhotosh Khan said:
One way to do this would be to choose the five boks and keep those together. Now you have six slots and six "books".

You can arrange those in 6! way

You can arrange those five "chosen" books in 5! ways

Can you continue to finish ?

i got it ,thx 8-)

stapel said:
neworld222 said:
The soul of mathematics is exactitude, which could explain the difficulties we're having here...? :shock:

I will guess that English is not your first language, and that you have attempted to translate this exercise from whatever was its original language. I think you mean the following:

From ten books, five are chosen. The ten books are to be placed in a row on a shelf. Find the probability that the five chosen books will end up standing together, side by side, on that shelf.
Please confirm or correct. (If the text needs to be corrected, please try to have a English-fluent friend help you out.)

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

thx,your expained is exactitude.English is not my first language,i'm Chinese.thanks a lot.