Explanation needed for differance in solutions

kimperryman

In my problem i was given two different equations to work and then in detail explain the differance between the two solutions. My two solutions are
0=2
-2x=0

I know that they are both false but can someone explain in mathmatic terms why???? Any help on this would be great. thanks a mill :p

kimperryman said:
In my problem i was given two different equations to work and then in detail explain the differance between the two solutions. My two solutions are
0=2
-2x=0

I know that they are both false but can someone explain in mathmatic terms why???? Any help on this would be great. thanks a mill :p

for your first (I assume) problem, you have

0 = 2

IF this is what you got when trying to solve an equation (it would have been SO much easier if we could see what your original problem was!!!), you need to look at when

0 = 2

is true. It's NEVER true, right? So, your original equation (GEE...I wish we could see what you started with!!) is never true, either. So, IF your original equation (or system of equations, or whatever) results in 0 = 2, then there are no solutions to the original equation, system, or whatever.

Your second statement is

2x = 0

Now, suppose you divide both sides of this equation by 2 to get 1x, or just x, on the left side:

(2x) / 2 = 0 / 2

x = 0

The original statement is true whenever x = 0. You can check this. Substitute 0 for x. Is the original statement true when x = 0?

In the future, we'd really LOVE to see your original problems and the work you've done to get to these (near the end!!) situtations.

I feel like I'm working in the dark here.