slope of the road when a = 24 ft and b = 3 mi

LauraRocks

I know the formula for slope is y2-y1/x2-x1. For problems like this one, I'm not sure how to find the numbers.

Find the slope of the road when a = 24 ft and b = 3 mi. (Hint: 1 mi = 5,280 ft.)

Re: Slope

LauraRocks said:
I know the formula for slope is y2-y1/x2-x1. For problems like this one, I'm not sure how to find the numbers.

Find the slope of the road when a = 24 ft and b = 3 mi. (Hint: 1 mi = 5,280 ft.) <--- How are 'a' and 'b' defined? Is there a picture? Please post the complete problem.

Dear LauraRocks,

slope =change in y over change in x = \(\displaystyle $rise\over {run}$\) = \(\displaystyle $\Delta y\over {\Delta x}$\) = \(\displaystyle $y_2-y_1\over {x_2-x_1}$\)

Note: Since the slope is a ratio, you will get the same answer for the slope whether you convert 24 feet into miles or 3 miles into feet. (Try it both ways to see for yourself). :mrgreen:

Note #2: The formula \(\displaystyle $m={y_2-y_1\over {x_2-x_1}$\) only comes in handy when you are given two points \(\displaystyle $(x_1, y_1), (x_2, y_2)$\) from which to find the slope.

If you had a right triangle where the road was the diagonal, what would the legs of the right triangle be? One leg would be the Rise, the other would be the Run. Slope is the ratio of Rise to Run.

(')<
>( ) Kasie
L