Basic Eqn Prob: If y = 6x^2 + 2x + 4, find y when x = -1/6

jramirez23

I am having trouble with a "plug-in" problem in my work.

The original equation is:

y = 6x^2 + 2x + 4

I have to find y when x = -1/6

I regularly did this equation like any other, but when I looked at the answer, the one I gave was incorrect. My answer is 4 1/2 and the textbook lists it as something like 3 5/6. Any advice? Is it possible that the book is incorrect?

Re: Basic Equation Problem

The textbook is correct. I believe you forgot the negative sign when multiplying 2x (since x = -1/6)

jramirez23 said:
I am having trouble with a "plug-in" problem in my work.

The original equation is:

y = 6x^2 + 2x + 4

I have to find y when x = -1/6

I regularly did this equation like any other, but when I looked at the answer, the one I gave was incorrect. My answer is 4 1/2 and the textbook lists it as something like 3 5/6. Any advice? Is it possible that the book is incorrect?

It's always possible that the book is incorrect.

Let's see....did you substitute (-1/6) for x? Like so:

y = 6 (-1/6)^2 + 2(-1/6) + 4

And then, do the arithmetic.

Let us see your work...because your answer of 4 1/2 is not correct. When we can see what you did, we can get a better idea of where you've made your mistake.

After redoing it a couple of times, I found out that I kept making an error on my basic arithmetic. Something that had to do with a negative number being multiplied and my error being that I forgot to add the negative after, which is how I became confused. I need to take it slower and be a bit more careful. :mrgreen: