Checking if I am on right track for def. of "association"

octoberxs

I am looking mostly for reassurance because I am not feeling strong on the subject, I want to discover the anwer myself but want nudged if I am heading off down the wrong path. Thanks

Define “association” in statistics. Explain how association is identified and demonstrated.

My answer –
Association is a commonality between two variables demonstrated by a shared value or similarity indicating a common influence. Association is often indentified mathematically by plotting multiple variables on a graph, when variables share a point, or similarity, it can be said they are associated. Association can also be demonstrated through plotting of variables being compared. Real world association can be defined when two variables share a common factor. Such as January and snow, they are associated because they both occur during the same time of year but one does not cause the other.

With "similarity" I am talking about changes in slope, incline, decline, etc. which indicate a common influence. I understand the concept of the scatterplot but not sure how to word it, and if it is really needed within the answer. Am I on the right track with this answer? :roll:

Re: Checking if I am on right track

I do not know of an author who uses the term "association" like this. (This does not mean there isn't such an author.) You seem to be hinting at what I usually see called "correlation". You may wish to exam another text (or perhaps the one you have), and see how closely these two terms are related. This differentiation may clarify the whole thing for you. Most often, "correlation" is differentiated from "causation".