Statistics on playing cards

kdicnagy

I have done this problem 2 or three times....I change answers and can't seem to get it. Please help.

Given: A standard deck of playing cards contains a total of 52 cards (26 red cards and 26 black cards). There are 4 aces and 4 cards of each number 2 through 10 (2 red and 2 black). There are 12 face cards (4 jacks, 4 queens, and 4 kings). Assume the cards have been shuffled (randomized).
Part C: Separate the 12 face cards from the rest of the deck. Assume that the face cards have been shuffled. Select 3 cards from the pile of face cards. Answer each question in the table below and show how you derive the solution. Tell whether each action is a combination or a permutation and why.

Table for Part C:
1) Action:How many different arrangements can be made by selecting 1 of each face card (i.e., jack, queen, king) from the pile?
Derivation and solution (please show your work): Four ways to select a jack, four ways to select a queen, and four ways of selecting a king.
Combination or permutation: Combination
Why: Because order doesn’t matter.

2)Action: How many different selections of 3 cards can be made from 12 face cards?
Derivation and solution (please show your work): There four ways of selecting 3 jacks, what if I left out the club, the spade, the diamond, and the heart. Likewise there are four ways of pulling three queens and four ways of pulling the kings. 4+4+4=12 ways to succeed altogether.
Combination or permutation:combination
Why:The problem does not say you have to select them in any kind of order.

Teachers Comments:
Please revise the answers for problem number 1. Each answer to action 1 requires revision.
Please revise the derivation and solution in the second problem.

kdicnagy said:
I have done this problem 2 or three times....I change answers and can't seem to get it. Please help.

Given: A standard deck of playing cards contains a total of 52 cards (26 red cards and 26 black cards). There are 4 aces and 4 cards of each number 2 through 10 (2 red and 2 black). There are 12 face cards (4 jacks, 4 queens, and 4 kings). Assume the cards have been shuffled (randomized).
Part C: Separate the 12 face cards from the rest of the deck. Assume that the face cards have been shuffled. Select 3 cards from the pile of face cards. Answer each question in the table below and show how you derive the solution. Tell whether each action is a combination or a permutation and why.

Table for Part C:
1) Action:How many different arrangements can be made by selecting 1 of each face card (i.e., jack, queen, king) from the pile?
Derivation and solution (please show your work): Four ways to select a jack, four ways to select a queen, and four ways of selecting a king.
Why: Because order doesn’t matter.

2)Action: How many different selections of 3 cards can be made from 12 face cards?
Derivation and solution (please show your work): There four ways of selecting 3 jacks, what if I left out the club, the spade, the diamond, and the heart. Likewise there are four ways of pulling three queens and four ways of pulling the kings. 4+4+4=12 ways to succeed altogether.
Combination or permutation:combination
Why:The problem does not say you have to select them in any kind of order.

Teachers Comments:
Please revise the answers for problem number 1. Each answer to action 1 requires revision.
Please revise the derivation and solution in the second problem.

Please show us your work, indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we know where to begin to help you.

Are the bolded parts the questions / exercises...? Are the "Actions" the instructions...? Are the non-bolded bits of the other sections your answers...? If so, are these your original answers, or your corrected ("revised") answers...? What, specifically, are you asking?

Please be complete. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Yes, the bold parts are the questions, the non-bold are my answers. The "Action" is the problem/question I am trying to solve. These are my original answers, I just reworked it, but I just got back from the grader that they are still not correct. Here is the reworked problem.

1)Action:How many different arrangements can be made by selecting 1 of each face card (i.e., jack, queen, king) from the pile?
Derivation and solution (please show your work):There are 12 ways of choosing the first card, because there are
12 cards in the deck. Then, there remain 8 cards that don't match the one drawn available as a second choice. Finally, there
are just 4 cards that don't match either of the first two, so the number of possibilities is 12 x 8 x 4 = 384 (This is correct now)

Why:Because order doesn’t matter.

2)Action:How many different selections of 3 cards can be made from 12 face cards?
Derivation and solution (please show your work):There four ways of selecting 3 jacks, what if I left out the club, the spade, the diamond, and the heart. Likewise there are four ways of pulling three queens and four ways of pulling the kings. 4+4+4=12 ways to succeed altogether.
Combination or permutation:Permutation
Why:eek:rder is unimportant.

Here are the grader comments:384 is correct for the first question. Reconsider how the action is classified and why.
On the third question, please review the description of the action. It is not three of the same face value. It is any three card selection.
Reconsider the meaning of the terms arrangements (action 1) and selections (action 3).

I don't understand why it is not combination since it is the a mix of numbers. But maybe because it is a mix of numbers and the order does matter it would be permutation on #3 -would the why be because it has to be in a specific order? But I still don't know about the derivation.
On #1, Maybe it is the same permutation because the order matters????