dart thrown at a square target

sarahxox

A dart, thrown at random, hits a square target. Assume that any two parts of the target are equally likely to be hit.

a) compute the probability that the point hit by the dart lies inside the circle inscribed in the square.

I know that any point will be (x,y). I have the sides of the square being 2 units. I know that you have an equal chance of hitting one half compared to the other half..

sarahxox said:
a) compute the probability that the point hit by the dart lies inside the circle inscribed in the square.
Assuming "the circle" and "the square" refer to some graphic in the assignment, and that "inscribed" is meant literally, find the area of the square, the area of the circle, and the area remaining inside the square after subtracting the area of the circle.

Of the total area, what percent is inside the circle? What then is the percentage probability of a point inside the square being also inside the circle?

Eliz.

Re:

stapel said:
sarahxox said:
Assuming "the circle" and "the square" refer to some graphic in the assignment, and that "inscribed" is meant literally, find the area of the square, the area of the circle, and the area remaining inside the square after subtracting the area of the circle.

Of the total area, what percent is inside the circle? What then is the percentage probability of a point inside the square being also inside the circle?

Eliz.

Thanks - I assumed that there is supposed to be a picture too but there isn't..
I made the square have an area of 4... each side being 2.
So I had the circle have a radius of one.. and then the area is pi
So the circle is 78.5% of the square..(pi/4)

I might not be reading the problem correctly.

>A dart, thrown at random, hits a square target. Assume that any two parts of the target are equally likely to be hit.

A circle inscribed in a square divides the target into 5 parts, the circle and the 4 portions of the square at its corners. To me, the wording implies that all of these sections have an equal probability of being hit regardless of their areas.

I know that in reality, the probability will depend on the areas. However, is that what the problem states?