Discrete probability distribution question (candy wrapping)

Monkeyseat

Hi,

Question

The probability distribution for the number, R, of unwrapped sweets in a tin is given in the following table:

tablen.png

a) Show that:
i) E(R) = 2,
ii) Var(R) = 1.2.

b) The number, P, of partially wrapped sweets in a tin is given by P = 3R + 4. Find values for E(P) and Var(P).

c) The total number of wrapped sweets in a tin is 200. Sweets are either correctly wrapped, partially wrapped or unwrapped.
i) Express, C, the number of correctly wrapped sweets in a tin in terms of R.
ii) Hence find the mean and variance of C.

Working

ai) No problem with this.
aii) No problem with this.

b) E(P) = 10 and Var(P) = 10.8

ci) This is the part I'm not sure about.

There are 200 wrapped sweets in the tin. "3R + 4" is the amount that are partially wrapped.

Therefore the number of correctly wrapped sweets is given by:

C = 200 - (3R + 4)
C = 196 - 3R

The book says the answer for this part the question is C = 196 - 4R. I don't know where this came from. By the looks of it, they did C = 200 - (3R + 4 + R), but R is the number of unwrapped sweets, so I thought it is irrelevant...

The number of correctly wrapped sweets = The number of wrapped sweets - the number of partially wrapped sweets
C = 200 - (3R + 4)

How does the number of unwrapped sweets come into this? How did the book get the answer that it did?

Thanks.

Re: Discrete probability distribution question

You need to add the partially wrapped to "totally" unwrapped to get the total "defective" count.

But 200 is the amount that is either correctly wrapped or partially wrapped (this does not include the amount that is unwrapped). So if I take "3R + 4", this being the amount that is partially wrapped, away from 200, this should give me the amount that is correctly wrapped. So, C = 196 - 3R.

That makes sense to me, but it is wrong. Why? Does 200 include the amount that is unwrapped?

Thanks.

Monkeyseat said:
Question

The probability distribution for the number, R, of unwrapped sweets in a tin is given in the following table:

tablen.png

a) Show that:
i) E(R) = 2,
ii) Var(R) = 1.2.

b) The number, P, of partially wrapped sweets in a tin is given by P = 3R + 4. Find values for E(P) and Var(P).

c) The total number of wrapped sweets in a tin is 200. Sweets are either correctly wrapped, partially wrapped or unwrapped.

200 = C + P + R

Subhotosh Khan, I know that sweets can be correctly wrapped, partially wrapped or unwrapped, but I still don't see why 200 = C + P + R. Bear with me please.

200 is the number of wrapped sweets in a tin. If these 200 sweets are wrapped, they must all be either correctly wrapped or partially wrapped i.e. 200 = C + P. So C = 200 - P.

What I am trying to say is, if 200 is the number of sweets in a tin and they are all wrapped, they must all be either correctly wrapped or partially wrapped - there can be no unwrapped sweets if all 200 sweets are wrapped.

Why does the 200 wrapped sweets include unwrapped sweets?

Thanks.