linear equations

lizzpalmer

Each week at a furniture factory, 2000 work hours are available in the construction department, 1400 work hours in the painting department, and 1300 work hours in the packing department. Producing a chair requires 2 hours of construction, 1 hour of painting, and 2 hours for packing. Producing a table requires 4 hours of construction, 3 hours of painting, and 3 hours for packing. Producing a chest requires 8 hours of construction, 6 hours of painting, and 4 hours for packing. If all available time is used in every department, how many of each item is produced each week?

so, i know:

2x + 4y + 8z = 2000
1x + 3y + 6z = 1400
2x + 3y + 4z = 1300

but how do I solve the rest?

Thanks! This is due tomorrow - Sunday and I cant seem to get it!

Lizz

Each week at a furniture factory, 2000 work hours are available in the construction department, 1400 work hours in the painting department, and 1300 work hours in the packing department. Producing a chair requires 2 hours of construction, 1 hour of painting, and 2 hours for packing. Producing a table requires 4 hours of construction, 3 hours of painting, and 3 hours for packing. Producing a chest requires 8 hours of construction, 6 hours of painting, and 4 hours for packing. If all available time is used in every department, how many of each item is produced each week?

so, i know:

2x + 4y + 8z = 2000
1x + 3y + 6z = 1400
2x + 3y + 4z = 1300

but how do I solve the rest?

Thanks! This is due tomorrow - Sunday and I cant seem to get it!

Lizz

I suggest you use CRAMER's rule which says find 3*3 matrix of coefficients and proceed finding 3*3 determinants where coeffs are substituted. Divide the deltax/delta

and do for x,y,z

I suggest you use CRAMER's rule which says find 3*3 matrix of coefficients and proceed finding 3*3 determinants where coeffs are substituted. Divide the deltax/delta

and do for x,y,z

I think that answer is more advanced than I am lol.

I don't have a clue what that means.

I have to do it by hand without a calculator too to show my math.

If you get to use Cramer you will find things are pretty easy

Let me try to explain :

Form determinant of coeffs, find delta

then for x, substitute the leftmost column by coeffs of x

Do for y ( middle column ),z (rightmost column )

then divide the latter found by deeterminant of coeffs to get x,y and z.

If you get to use Cramer you will find things are pretty easy

Let me try to explain :

Form determinant of coeffs, find delta

then for x, substitute the leftmost column by coeffs of x

Do for y ( middle column ),z (rightmost column )

then divide the latter found by deeterminant of coeffs to get x,y and z.

I'm sorry, I don't understand.