Weighted averages for flight delays

michaelt747

I am working on a report involving airline delays during a specific period of time at an airport and trying to figure out the weighted average of the flight delays per airline given their total number of operations from an airport.

Airline A accounts for 52% of the total operations, their delays account for 59% of the total delays at the airport.
Airline B accounts for 40.5% of the total operations, their delays account for 31.4% of the total delays at the airport.
Airline C accounts for 2.4% of the total operations, their delays account for 2.98% of the total delays
Airline D accounts for 2.5% of the total operations, their delays account for 3.3% of the total delays
Airline E accounts for 2.01% of the total operations, their delays account for 2.2% of the total delays
Airline F accounts for .17% of the total operations, their delays account for .25% of the total delays
Airline G accounts for .20% of the total operations, their delays account for .38% of the total delays
Airline H accounts for .49% of the total operations, their delays account for .42% of the total delays

I feel like I'm making this way more complicated than it has to be. Essentially, I'm trying to show the percentage of delays airline A has given the fact that they have the majority of the flights/operations. Airline F, for example, has the least amount of delays, but that's because they have the fewest number of flights/operations.

Any help would be awesome, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Divide each "percentage of delays" by the corresponding "percentage of operations". If you want it as a percentage, add all of those results and divide each by that sum.
I get that "airline B" has the best record with "weighted delays" of 8% while "airline G" is worst at 19.8%.