empirical probability

amanda93

please help.... i have no idea how to begin..

a)Based on the randomly tagged sample, what is the empirical probability that a deer captured at random will be a doe?
b)If ten deer are captured at random, how many would you expect to be bucks?

i was trying empirical probability of an event being
P(A)= n(A)/n(S)

which in the case of (a) P(A)= 1/1 ( i don't think so... i am really stucked,don't know what to do,kindly help)

a)Based on the randomly tagged sample, what is the empirical probability that a deer captured at random will be a doe?

P(A)= n(A)/n(S)

which in the case of (a) P(A)= 1/1 ( i don't think so... i am really stucked,don't know what to do,kindly help)
You do not give us the sample so it is impossible to answer you specifically. But I can say that you have missed the point of the sample. Let's say the sample was of 100 deer, 90 of which are does and 10 are bucks. So the estimated empirical probability P(doe) = number of does in the sample divided by the number of deer in the sample = 90%. That is, we assume that a large enough, randomly selected sample is typical of the population from which the sample was drawn.

Do you know how to begin now?

You do not give us the sample so it is impossible to answer you specifically. But I can say that you have missed the point of the sample. Let's say the sample was of 100 deer, 90 of which are does and 10 are bucks. So the estimated empirical probability P(doe) = number of does in the sample divided by the number of deer in the sample = 90%. That is, we assume that a large enough, randomly selected sample is typical of the population from which the sample was drawn.

Do you know how to begin now?

Thank you very much for your time.
I understood all of your points given above. but the answer in my book says for (a) 13/24 and for (b) is 5. I couldn't get these answers.can you help for the last time please.

It's impossible for anyone here to answer your questions because you haven't given us the sample that all of this is based on.

Thank you very much for your time.
I understood all of your points given above. but the answer in my book says for (a) 13/24 and for (b) is 5. I couldn't get these answers.can you help for the last time please.
Amanda

We are more than happy to help, but you have not told us what the sample says.

How can we apply the sample if we do not know what it is?

In addition to giving the sample, please tell us how you did your work? The answer in the back of the book is sometimes wrong, and folks go crazy unnecessarily.

P(A)= n(A)/n(S)

Do you know that there are two types of probabilities?

Do you know the definition of empirical probability?