z test

smbroadb

I am having trouble with this problem...

Q1) A professor is interested in determining if attending college influences the level at which an
individual cooperates with the police. The professor is unsure if attending college will teach
respect for authority and thus increase level of cooperation or if college will teach
independent thinking and thus lead to deceased level of cooperation. To address this
question, the professor gathers information from the students in an undergraduate course
and calculates their propensity for cooperating with the police (higher number means higher
level of cooperation) and compares it to the known mean and standard deviation of the
general population.
a) Would the professor conduct a 1-tailed or 2-tailed hypothesis test? Explain why.
b) Use the information below to conduct a z-test using p=.05 as your alpha level. Make
sure you complete all 5 steps and show your work/answers for each step.
Sample Population
Mean = 3.13 Mean = 3.02
SD = 0.53 SD = 0.54
n = 86
c) Calculate a 95% confidence interval for the above sample.

a) I believe this is a two tailed hypothesis test, because you have a clearly non-directional hypothesis. In other words the hypothesis doesn't predict a particular direction of difference between the population like the sample studied and the population in general.

b) I am stuck on some of the steps to conduct a z test. I know that the SE is 0.01, and the Citical value is + or - 1.96, but then I get suck on the last two steps. If anyone could help me and show me how to do this that would be amazing. Thank you!

I am having trouble with this problem...

Q1) A professor is interested in determining if attending college influences the level at which an
individual cooperates with the police. The professor is unsure if attending college will teach
respect for authority and thus increase level of cooperation or if college will teach
independent thinking and thus lead to deceased level of cooperation. To address this
question, the professor gathers information from the students in an undergraduate course
and calculates their propensity for cooperating with the police (higher number means higher
level of cooperation) and compares it to the known mean and standard deviation of the
general population
a) Would the professor conduct a 1-tailed or 2-tailed hypothesis test? Explain why.
b) Use the information below to conduct a z-test using p=.05 as your alpha level. Make
sure you complete all 5 steps and show your work/answers for each step.
....Sample ......Population
Mean = 3.13 Mean = 3.02
SD = 0.53 ...SD = 0.54
n = 86
c) Calculate a 95% confidence interval for the above sample.

a) I believe this is a two tailed hypothesis test, because you have a clearly non-directional hypothesis. In other words the hypothesis doesn't predict a particular direction of difference between the population like the sample studied and the population in general. ....Very Good

b) I am stuck on some of the steps to conduct a z test. I know that the SE is 0.01, and the Critical value is + or - 1.96, but then I get suck on the last two steps. If anyone could help me and show me how to do this that would be amazing. Thank you!
You must have a list of five steps - does that include finding the standard deviation for the mean of samples of size N=86? If that is what you mean by "SE", then you have rounded too much. Since you are going to take the ratio of two fairly small numbers, you need to keep at least two significant digits. Then what is the z-value for 3.13 in the distribution of sample means? I get a value pretty close to the Critical value.