Simple math I think :)

Ec147c

I am in a football sim league, and I need some help that will probably be simple for most of you guys.

All players in this league have attributes. During training camp, we choose the categories we want to train. We have 100% to allocate basically. Every category must use at least 5%, but no more than 55%. there are 8 available categories to train a man in. An example of how you would spread the points out on a random player would be this-

5 5 5 5 35 20 15 10= 100%

A players progress in each category is directly related to his actual points, and potential points. If in a category, a man has 80 pts, but has a potential of 90, he has 10 points to gain. Therefor if you trained him at 35%, he would gain 3.5 pts. I just know this, but not the formula to figure out why. Can anybody explain to me the math formula you would use to figure this out as it relates to any 2 numbers? Per say his actual was 80 and his potential was 83? I know 33.3 would get you 1, but what is the actual equation that you could punch into a calculator?

I am in a football sim league, and I need some help that will probably be simple for most of you guys.

All players in this league have attributes. During training camp, we choose the categories we want to train. We have 100% to allocate basically. Every category must use at least 5%, but no more than 55%. there are 8 available categories to train a man in. An example of how you would spread the points out on a random player would be this-

5 5 5 5 35 20 15 10= 100%

A players progress in each category is directly related to his actual points, and potential points. If in a category, a man has 80 pts, but has a potential of 90, he has 10 points to gain. Therefor if you trained him at 35%, he would gain 3.5 pts. I just know this, but not the formula to figure out why. Can anybody explain to me the math formula you would use to figure this out as it relates to any 2 numbers? Per say his actual was 80 and his potential was 83? I know 33.3 would get you 1, but what is the actual equation that you could punch into a calculator?

Hi there,

Here's one way to think about this (if I've understood the situation correctly).

Each player has a certain number of available points they can gain, which is the difference between their actual points and their potential points (90 - 80 = 10 in your first example). And if each player trains at a certain amount (35 in your first example), which we divide by 100 to get a percent, then they will gain this percent of the available points. So we have

\(\displaystyle \text{Points Gained from Training} = (\text{Potential Points} - \text{Actual Points}) \times \frac{\text{Training Amount}}{100}\)

Is this what you wanted? Or did I misunderstand?​

Hey!

So yeah you have the basic jist of what I'm asking. My question is, if I have a player who is currently at 80, but has a potential of 83, how can I figure out which percentage to train him at. So say I wanted to get him to 81.5, that would take 50% of his training correct? I'm wondering if there is an easy formula I can use to find this with any number, for any percentage I want to apply. I know I'm being confusing :) thanks for your help!

Hey!So yeah you have the basic jist of what I'm asking. My question is, if I have a player who is currently at 80, but has a potential of 83, how can I figure out which percentage to train him at. So say I wanted to get him to 81.5, that would take 50% of his training correct? I'm wondering if there is an easy formula I can use to find this with any number, for any percentage I want to apply. I know I'm being confusing :) thanks for your help!

So you can actually use the same formula I posted above, but we just use some algebra to rearrange the terms.

We have:

\(\displaystyle \text{Points Gained from Training} = (\text{Potential Points} - \text{Actual Points}) \times \frac{\text{Training Amount}}{100} \)​

which, after some algebra, gives us:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ \text{Points Gained from Training}}{ (\text{Potential Points} - \text{Actual Points})} \times 100 = \text{Training Amount} \)

Hope that helps!​