Coin toss probability

alaynad4

I am having trouble with the problem. The first part I understand (I believe). The second part is a trick question I feel like. See for yourself: You are going to toss a fair coin repeatedly in successive trials until you observe a head for the first time, and then you are going to stop. Compute the probabilities P("at least 3 tosses are required before the experiment terminates") and P("the process never stops"), respectively. HELP!!

I am having trouble with the problem. The first part I understand (I believe). The second part is a trick question I feel like. See for yourself: You are going to toss a fair coin repeatedly in successive trials until you observe a head for the first time, and then you are going to stop. Compute the probabilities P("at least 3 tosses are required before the experiment terminates") and P("the process never stops"), respectively. HELP!!

It is not clear to me as to exactly do understand.
If \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(T=k)\) is the probability that the trials terminate upon the kth trial( first head).

Is it true that \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(T=k)=2^k~?\)

The probability that it never terminates is \(\displaystyle 1-\sum\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {\mathcal{P}(T=k)}~?\)

It is not clear to me as to exactly do understand.
If \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(T=k)\) is the probability that the trials terminate upon the kth trial( first head).

Is it true that \(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(T=k)=2^k~?\)

The probability that it never terminates is \(\displaystyle 1-\sum\limits_{k = 1}^\infty {\mathcal{P}(T=k)}~?\)

For the first part I had (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) and obviously got that the probability was 1/8. The last part I was stumped on. What you put makes sense to me though...