Father of Nine Children

wirespool

Hello Everyone,
The question that I have is probably very simple, but I have very limited math skills.
My Wife and I just had or ninth child, it was a boy!
My question is what are the statistical odds of, starting with our first child (male) the second (female) the third (male) the forth (female) ect...
All nine children alternate boy girl to the last.
The answer is not for anything other than my curiosity, and would love to know what the odds of this happening are.
Thanks for all of the responses,
Wirespool

Hello Everyone,
The question that I have is probably very simple, but I have very limited math skills.
My question is what are the statistical odds of, starting with our first child (male) the second (female) the third (male) the forth (female) ect...
The answer is not for anything other than my curiosity, and would love to know what the odds of this happening are.
Wirespool
Probability of mfmfmfmfm is (1/2)^9. There are 2^9 different ways of having 9 children. mfmfmfmfm is just 1 of those 2^9=512 ways, so the odds are 1 to 512

Hello Everyone,
Wirespool
I want to add that your outcome (mfmfmfmfm) is as likely as any other outcome (like mmmfffmmf), so the odds of ANY one outcome is 1 to 512, Sorry, but nothing (mathematically) special about your outcome.