Statistics and Graphical Models - Casual relationships between variables.

LesleyAnn

I apologize if I have posted this in an incorrect area. I am currently having difficulty with that is, I am sure, a fairly basic question.

The question is..

Identify the most likely type of causal relationship between each of the following pairs of variables. Assume that a strong positive correlation has been observed where the first variable listed is the independent variable. Choose from the following types of causal relationships: cause-and-effect, common-cause, reverse cause-and-effect relationship, accidental relationship, presumed relationship.

a. alcohol consumption, incidence of automobile accidents
b. scores on physics exam, scores on mathematics exam
c. increase in pay, job performance
d. average daily temperature, consumer price index
e. number of scholarships received, number of job offers upon graduation
f. coffee consumption, insomnia

I had previously had a very similar type of question, that I failed miserably on. I do understand the relationships, at least moderately, as I was able to correctly give my own examples in a previous assignment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize if I have posted this in an incorrect area. I am currently having difficulty with that is, I am sure, a fairly basic question.

The question is..

Identify the most likely type of causal relationship between each of the following pairs of variables. Assume that a strong positive correlation has been observed where the first variable listed is the independent variable. Choose from the following types of causal relationships: cause-and-effect, common-cause, reverse cause-and-effect relationship, accidental relationship, presumed relationship.

a. alcohol consumption, incidence of automobile accidents
b. scores on physics exam, scores on mathematics exam
c. increase in pay, job performance
d. average daily temperature, consumer price index
e. number of scholarships received, number of job offers upon graduation
f. coffee consumption, insomnia

I had previously had a very similar type of question, that I failed miserably on. I do understand the relationships, at least moderately, as I was able to correctly give my own examples in a previous assignment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Refer to:

http://jongarvin.com/up/MDM4U/slides/Cause_Effect_Handout.pdf

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting