What is the % of the stroke population will get stroke?

tharibkss

You're a doctor in a town where 6 out of 100 are non smokers. The chances of stoker in smoker is 50% more than non-smoker. Now the pharmaceutical company is introducing a medicine which reduces the chances of stroke upto 1/3rd in smoker population. What is the % of the stroke population will get stroke?

You're a doctor in a town where 6 out of 100 are non smokers. The chances of stoker in smoker is 50% more than non-smoker. Now the pharmaceutical company is introducing a medicine which reduces the chances of stroke upto 1/3rd in smoker population. What is the % of the stroke population will get stroke?

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting!!

My calculations

Non Smokers = 6%
Smokers = 96%

Chances of non smokers getting stroke = x/6
Chances of smokers getting stroke = x/3

If by taking the drug 1/3 of smokers won't get stroke, so their chances becomes x/9

What is the % of the stroke population will get stroke? - I have no idea... I am struck here

I think there must be at least one error in the above. The "%" ("percentage"?) of the stroke population which will get a stroke is 100%. :oops:

Non Smokers = 6%
Smokers = 96%
This adds up to 102%. Is this what you meant?

Chances of non smokers getting stroke = x/6
Chances of smokers getting stroke = x/3
How did you obtain these expressions? What was your reasoning? Note: Since 1/6 is half of 1/3, you have here stated that the smokers have twice the chance (200%) of having stroke, rather than only half-again as much (150%). Was this what you meant? ;)