Linear Algebra

mnaceypantsey

Hi!
I've got Gaussian elimination hw (rrefs, solving systems, all that fun stuff), and there is a problem that I have literally done at least 5 times and gotten a different answer -- and i've gotten it wrong every time. Here is the problem (it specifically asks to use gaussian elimination), any help would be much much appreciated!
Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 3.13.25 PM.png
Have a wonderful day :)

Hi!
I've got Gaussian elimination hw (rrefs, solving systems, all that fun stuff), and there is a problem that I have literally done at least 5 times and gotten a different answer -- and i've gotten it wrong every time. Here is the problem (it specifically asks to use gaussian elimination), any help would be much much appreciated!
View attachment 28843
Have a wonderful day :)
Please show us one of your attempts - even if you think it is wrong.

Hi mnacey. Most errors in Gaussian Elimination are simple arithmetic mistakes. I always double-check as I go. I also highly organize my scratch paper and avoid mental calculations.

In your second step, where you multiplied R1 by 5 and added the result to R2, there's an arithmetic mistake in the augmented column.

?

If you know the solution--maybe the solution is in the back of your textbook- then you can verify that each matrix you come up with is correct by plugging in the values of the variables in each row and see if it is valid.