Please help: If 1/2 inch is to 2 inches, what is [blank] to 30 inches?

Ccorvair

Please can you help me? I am not in school, I am just trying to find an answer for a project here's what I have, I am trying to scale up this : if 1/2 in. Is to 2 in. What is blank to 30 in. Thank you for your patients and you are welcome to use my question to promote children to stay in school.

One way to think of "1/2 is to 2 as ___ is to 30" is that you want to multiply each first number by the same thing to get the second number.

What do you multiply 1/2 by, to get 2? One way or another, you should be able to see that the answer is 4: 1/2 multiplied by 4 is 2.

So ___, multiplied by 4, has to be 30. Can you fill in the blank?

There are several other ways you could do this; I can't be sure which way would fit you best without seeing an example of how you think.

Please can you help me? I am not in school, I am just trying to find an answer for a project … What is blank to 30 in …
Hello. That's 7.5 inches.

A ratio is a comparison of one number to another, like ½ to 2 and ? to 30. We can write such comparisons as fractions.

We want the fractions (½)/2 and ?/30 to equal one another because scaled comparisons are the same. We write the proportion:

\(\displaystyle \frac{½}{2} = \;\frac{?}{30}\)

As explained on this page, we find the unknown number by multiplying the two numbers on the diagonal (½×30) and dividing by the third number (2).

? = ½ × 30 ÷ 2 = 7½

?

Another way of thinking about it is that 4(1/2)= 4/2= 2. Since multiplying 1/2 by 4 is 2, dividing 2 by 4 is 1/2. 1/2 is 1/4 of 2. The what number is 1/4 of 30? 30/4= 15/2= 7.5.