Find the limit of the product of ?(?) and ?(??) as ? → 0+. Clearly explain your steps.

john458776

20210515_150021.jpg
I really dont know how I'm going to solve this problem I tried and I'm not sure if I'm correct. please help me I'm practicing for my upcoming test.

1621088565483.png
I'm stuck here.

Attachments

• 16210881029037222525491375366380.jpg
    16210881029037222525491375366380.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
from the shape of the graphs, looks like one can let [MATH]g(t) = \sin{t}[/MATH] and [MATH]k(t) = \ln{t}[/MATH]
[MATH]\lim_{t \to 0^+} \sin{t} \cdot \ln{t}[/MATH] can be expressed as [MATH]\lim_{t \to 0^+} \dfrac{\ln{t}}{\csc{t}}[/MATH]
should now be able to use L’Hopital …

View attachment 27211
I really dont know how I'm going to solve this problem I tried and I'm not sure if I'm correct. please help me I'm practicing for my upcoming test.
The trouble is that \(0\cdot-\infty\) is indeterminate, so that the limit of the product depends on exactly how each factor approaches its own limit. It looks like \(\sin(x)\cdot\ln(x)\), but that's quite different from "is". If k deviates from \(\ln(x)\) in a significant way, the result may be entirely different.

So I don't think you can really find the limit; the best you can do is to guess it, as skeeter has suggested.

zero, or indeterminate … discuss with your instructor as to how he/she sees it

I really dont know how I'm going to solve this problem
You can't - it can't be answered.
E.g.
[MATH]g(x)=\sin \left(\frac{x}{10}\right)[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex k(x)=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex \lim \limits_{x \to 0^{+}} g(x)k(x)=0[/MATH]1621114058338.png
[MATH]g(x)=\sin \left(\frac{x}{10}\right)[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex k(x)=-\frac{1}{x}[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex \lim \limits_{x \to 0^{+}} g(x)k(x)=-\frac{1}{10}[/MATH]1621114373931.png
[MATH]g(x)=\sin \left(\frac{x}{10}\right)[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex k(x)=-\frac{1}{e^{-\frac{1}{x}}}[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex \lim \limits_{x \to 0^{+}} g(x)k(x)=-\infty[/MATH]1621114997562.png

(For the final example [MATH]k(x)=-e^{\frac{1}{x}}[/MATH] equivalently).

(Repost of #9, incorporating skeeter's suggested amendment).

E.g.
[MATH]g(x)=\sin \left(\frac{x}{10}\right)[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex k(x)=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}+\frac{1}{2}[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex \lim \limits_{x \to 0^{+}} g(x)k(x)=0[/MATH]1621156012872.png
[MATH]g(x)=\sin \left(\frac{x}{10}\right)[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex k(x)=-\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{2}[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex \lim \limits_{x \to 0^{+}} g(x)k(x)=-\frac{1}{10}[/MATH]1621156032080.png
[MATH]g(x)=\sin \left(\frac{x}{10}\right)[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex k(x)=-e^{\frac{1}{x}}+\frac{3}{2}[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex \lim \limits_{x \to 0^{+}} g(x)k(x)=-\infty[/MATH]1621156049633.png

(Repost of #9, incorporating skeeter's suggested amendment).

E.g.
[MATH]g(x)=\sin \left(\frac{x}{10}\right)[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex k(x)=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}+\frac{1}{2}[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex \lim \limits_{x \to 0^{+}} g(x)k(x)=0[/MATH]View attachment 27233
[MATH]g(x)=\sin \left(\frac{x}{10}\right)[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex k(x)=-\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{2}[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex \lim \limits_{x \to 0^{+}} g(x)k(x)=-\frac{1}{10}[/MATH]View attachment 27234
[MATH]g(x)=\sin \left(\frac{x}{10}\right)[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex k(x)=-e^{\frac{1}{x}}+\frac{3}{2}[/MATH], [MATH]\hspace2ex \lim \limits_{x \to 0^{+}} g(x)k(x)=-\infty[/MATH]View attachment 27235
That's beautiful, but I think that the main idea of this question is that to let the student to pick any two functions that are similar to the graph and proves his/her answer. It does not matter what is the answer.

That's beautiful, but I think that the main idea of this question is that to let the student to pick any two functions that are similar to the graph and proves his/her answer. It does not matter what is the answer.
That's possible, but it's not an appropriate thing to do on a test, without explicitly stating it.

I dislike problems that penalize diligent students who want to be sure they are correct, and realize there is not one right answer (perhaps after a long struggle). If a problem says "find ___", it implies there is a specific ___ to be found.

Students who are used to guessing answers on tests, and assuming things they don't know, would have less trouble. That is not what should be taught in a math class.

That's possible, but it's not an appropriate thing to do on a test, without explicitly stating it.

I dislike problems that penalize diligent students who want to be sure they are correct, and realize there is not one right answer (perhaps after a long struggle). If a problem says "find ___", it implies there is a specific ___ to be found.

Students who are used to guessing answers on tests, and assuming things they don't know, would have less trouble. That is not what should be taught in a math class.
You are correct Dr.Peterson.

maybe this was an open-ended question on a set of practice problems to foster class discussion …